Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   simple setup for H/L neps (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4028)

kevyn chan 21st April 2010 01:17 PM

simple setup for H/L neps

hi all,

the following setup works for me as of now...used aquarium, water tray, direct sunlight from 1130hrs - 1330hrs...night temperature dropped to 22°c < 25°c, moving water underneath in a pond...neps species....n.diatas and n.chaniana. achieved new growth and pitchering for n. chaniana but not n.diatas, only selected leaves with pitcher:2thumbup:

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC01036.jpg

NepNut 21st April 2010 01:25 PM

Re: simple setup for H/L neps

Is this enclosed system? How's your day time temperature inside the terrarium?? I'm worried about "green house effect" and no air circulation/movement.

caseyhoo 21st April 2010 01:29 PM

may I know how you achieve air circulation?

kevyn chan 21st April 2010 03:37 PM

it is actually an 'enclosed' air concept (if it is ever exist)...note that the aquarium is actually upsidedown...therefore there will be air exchange and the water surface below is agitated by the electric submersible water pump....the duo has actually failed to produce new leaves when it was kept with the others under the shed.....after 2 weeks trial, the condition improves tremendously and i sincerely share this with all of you. i actually working on another growing concept and it will soon be exposed here too....*biggrin2* all comments are welcome...

NepNut 21st April 2010 05:19 PM

Wish you good luck... Enclosed system often have problems in the long run (after a few months) in our tropical weather especially your setup is in outdoor exposed to sunlight. Please keep us updated on the progress, thanks for sharing. :1thumbup:

kevyn chan 21st April 2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NepNut (Post 28374)
Wish you good luck... Enclosed system often have problems in the long run (after a few months) in our tropical weather especially your setup is in outdoor exposed to sunlight. Please keep us updated on the progress, thanks for sharing. :1thumbup:

dont scare me la....wht do you foresee? my nut bout neps master...? *biggrin2**biggrin2**biggrin2*

NepNut 21st April 2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevyn chan (Post 28376)
dont scare me la....wht do you foresee? my nut bout neps master...? *biggrin2**biggrin2**biggrin2*

Didn't mean to scare you *biggrin2* but it's better for you to be prepare. I think heat during daytime will be your biggest problem.

IMHO, since your setup is fully enclosed on top and sides, leaving only opening at bottom, it won't be enough for air circulation to get rid of the trapped warm air (since the top and sides are fully enclosed, warm air raised up will have no where to go). That's why the first thing I asked is the temperature during the day time. That's why terrarium can't really work outdoor especially when it's in tropical climate.

On larger scale, like enclosed live stock farm, evaporative cooling will be used (fairly cost effective) to solved this heat problem.

Anyway, you should just go ahead, who knows? You might get a good results since everyone's growing condition is different. Again... Good Luck!! *biggrin2*

edwardyeeks 21st April 2010 09:15 PM

Would be good if you added some holes at the side or the top to increase air circulation. But still, quite a nice setup you have there! Do keep us updated with this terrarium of yours :smile:

marvin1997 21st April 2010 09:35 PM

Wow I think I want to try a H/L nep set-up after seeing yours. Keep us updated ya:laugh:Really want to know what happen next!!

kevyn chan 21st April 2010 10:43 PM

hmm...noted bout the warm air accumulation...i have noticed that there will be water droplets on the walls of the aquarium during the daytime (due to the water evaporation from the pond) and once the sun has gone (the degree of the sun ray were blocked by the higher surrounding objects) the air is much cooler due to the evaporation.

this setup was done in the month of december last year to date....*biggrin2*