Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes Propagation (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   What watering method used when germinating Nepenthes seeds (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=6109)

bactrus 27th January 2011 01:10 PM

What watering method used when germinating Nepenthes seeds

Interested to find out methods used by Nepenthes enthusiast to germinate their Nepenthes seeds. I have here water tray, misting, direct watering. Before I start a poll, any other method I miss out>

kentosaurs 27th January 2011 02:58 PM

Re: What watering method used when germinating Nepenthes seeds

Just misting till its wet enough

bactrus 27th January 2011 03:13 PM

Okay, let's start a poll.

edmund83 27th January 2011 04:20 PM

I will go ahead with mist or water tray method..

However, one thing need to aware is the water level for water tray method.

edwardyeeks 27th January 2011 08:46 PM

I would prefer misting the soil and seedlings. Water tray isn't really reliable for me. First, more media is needed so that the water tray does not flood/waterlogged the soil. Then, there's the issue when you need to remove the water tray eventually to prevent root rot for the seedlings(unless you are using a pot or a few inches deep soil). The water level needs to be mantained too, not too much and not too little. And lastly, mosquitoes larvae have the tendency to grow ALOT in water trays for me, so now I hold a grudge on the effectiveness of water tray :smile:

On the contrary, spraying is more safer. The only risk you will have to face is media drying due to insufficient sprayed water. And, it's not even time consuming unless you have a hundred of germination trays :smile:. Misting also kind of simulates a raining envrionment for the seedlings which I believe is beneficial for the plant (note that this is just my opinion and observation, it might not be true!).

Therefore, I would prefer spraying!

alpiner 31st January 2011 04:02 PM

Recently just ordered a number of seeds from Rob, supposed to receive today. Plus some from PiscesiLim. I'll do some quick experiment on water tray, water tray+cover, misting/spray+cover, for 2 media (Cut Sphagnum Moss+pearlite, peat moss+pearlite). So that's 2x3 variables. I'll put them side by side and use same seeds (LL hopefully with highest chance of germination), for all these perturbations. Don't think I hv enough seeds to add more variables, and I don't want to hv too little seeds per scenario. Will duplicate with another Neps, if I hv time today. Spent ~4-5hrs preparing the media and trays last night, ran out of time to take photo. By the time I realized, it's already 12:45am. Will post later.

paphioboy 1st February 2011 12:40 PM

Erm, I'm watering from above.... Is that advisable?

edmund83 1st February 2011 03:11 PM

paphioboy, i think this wayt should be ok as long as the water level never existing the medium. Keep moist better than too wet.

cbkhoon 2nd February 2011 09:53 PM

i put seed on to wet moss in boxes, and cover them, there are some holes on the sides. I will replenish water by spraying at the side when needed.

bactrus 3rd February 2011 07:55 PM

My prefrence is on water tray as I am I lazy person. Just add water. Clean once a week. Hehe...

Misting if you have the time is definately a very good method. I hope Shawn can see this an post a reply. He is an expert in growing neps from seeds.