Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Drosera (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   D. Binata Flower Picture (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2038)

arvin555 26th February 2009 09:59 PM

D. Binata Flower Picture

Just wanted to share photo of a Binata T form flower:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...taflower10.jpg

plantlover 26th February 2009 10:15 PM

Re: D. Binata Flower Picture

Mine is flowering too. My binata is almost dead. After flowering and getting attacked by mealybugs.

edwardyeeks 26th February 2009 10:59 PM

I should have taken a picture of my d binata var multifida flowering too, but the flowers are dead already. Thats a nice flower!

Cheers

arvin555 26th February 2009 11:18 PM

Thanks guys, I missed the oppurtunity to take a photo of two flowers blooming at the same time, oh well. I don't know how to self pollenate them, but when the two flower were opened I just made the two "kiss" each other, now that only one is open I just use a toothpick to get pollen and just rub it in around the middle. Not too scientific. I'm thinking however that they are fairly good at self pollenating.

TTFN
Arvin

edwardyeeks 26th February 2009 11:31 PM

D binata doesn't self pollinate. You will need pollen from another different clone of d binata. Mine didn't produce seeds at all.

Cheers

kentosaurs 27th February 2009 09:20 AM

Hey arvin thanks for sharing.......Looks like a VFT flower :D

Ken

plantlover 27th February 2009 09:24 AM

Mine had 3 flowers blooming at the same time.

arvin555 18th May 2009 01:33 PM

Has anyone actually collected and germinated D. Binata seeds?

The reason I asked is that the flowers in the photo has long since dried up and blackened, and what I usually do with all my Drosera flowers is to test the lowest (oldest) flower for seeds, and when I squeezed out the dried black flower, I noticed really really really small "black elongated dust" came out and stuck on my finger. Should have taken photos, will try soon. I am not sure if these are actually Binata seeds, but they are very small. In fact I'd even say maybe smaller but a bit longer than D. Burmanii seeds.

I then sowed them on some of my pots with other plants to see if they germinate, I also just now made a new pot and mixed Binata and Spatulata seeds to germinate as well. I will report back, but I am wondering if anyone has been sucessful in germinating Binata seeds and know what they look like? At the end of the day I still say easiest way for Binata propagation is leaf cuttings!

TTFN
Arvin

Khoas 18th May 2009 05:32 PM

I have. There is one variety does self pollinate. It is binata 'Small Red'. The seeds from the crossing of different varieties is fertile and grows well.

rsivertsen 18th May 2009 10:12 PM

In Australia, there are mostly 3 or 4 varieties of D. binata, the "T" form, (which is the rarest in the wild, but was the most common in cultivation for decades), the large green/orange form, which is the most common form in the wild, and the "multifida" series, including the "extreme" form that can produce up to 18 points, and some have produced 32! Most of these are self-sterile for some reason, and will not self pollinate.

There are some "multifida" plants that have been cross pollinated with either the "T" form or another form which have produced pants that are self fertile, and I happen to have one of those plants, and it spreads like a weed! It looks a little like the "T" form when it's small, but eventually forms those forked binate leaves. - Rich