Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Veitchii Bario (MT) (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3729)

cjloong 15th January 2010 08:11 PM

Veitchii Bario (MT)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
I've just acquired veitchii bario, MT version, from NewTrio. I think they have one more there. Just wondering on how I should treat it? What would be the best media for this guy? It will eventually go into my 4ft terrarium, I guess in a months time.

Anyways, here is the picture.
https://forum.petpitcher.net/attachme...1&d=1263553630

Regards
cj

kit1212 15th January 2010 10:38 PM

Re: Veitchii Bario (MT)

Wow it loos beautiful.Mind telling me how much is it?

rsivertsen 16th January 2010 06:55 AM

Beautiful plant! I grow mine in a very lose mix and keep it a little on the dry side, never standing in water. You might want to keep it in a very humid place for a while until it establishes a decent root system. - Rich

Robert 16th January 2010 08:32 AM

this fella can get huge, if you refer to my post in the wild.

cjloong 17th January 2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsivertsen (Post 25353)
Beautiful plant! I grow mine in a very lose mix and keep it a little on the dry side, never standing in water. You might want to keep it in a very humid place for a while until it establishes a decent root system. - Rich

Hi Rich, Thanks for the info. Going to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 25354)
this fella can get huge, if you refer to my post in the wild.

Hi Robert, just wanna ask. I know it grow huge but is it a fast or slow grower?

I am very tempted to just quickly setup the terrarium. And then put this directly into it. Saves the hassle. I think I am gonna do that these few days.

Regards
cj

NepNut 17th January 2010 01:47 AM

As far as I know, most N. veitchii can be consider as slow grower... even more so for the H/L variety :sweating:

cjloong 17th January 2010 01:53 AM

That's good, for my case in a terrarium.

YG seems to like potting up with pure LFS. Usually I repot this to a draining mix for my other plants. Maybe for this case, I'll just leave it as it is and plunk it straight into the terrarium. Kinda hard to repot as those LFS sticks/fused to the roots.

Regards
cj

TranMinh 17th January 2010 08:35 PM

Hi,
I think you should repot that Veitchii with good drain media, they will doing well in your terrarium.

cjloong 19th January 2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TranMinh (Post 25378)
Hi,
I think you should repot that Veitchii with good drain media, they will doing well in your terrarium.

Thanks for the advice. I guess it is a good one. Better do it now when it is still healthy. ;-) Do it later is gonna be a lot harder.

Off topic... I am wondering how YG does it. Their plants are real healthy, all LFS. How do they do control it and why do they only use sphagnum. Was discussing with Fauzi as well, he also says that sphagnum is one of the best media if we know how to control it. The question is, how to use sphagnum moss correctly.

Openning the topic for suggestions (on how/why YG uses LFS)...

Regards
cj

NepNut 19th January 2010 05:17 PM

Good point, I've also thought about this... This is my analysis... We all know LFS is not the cheapest material to use and I know YG use HQ New Zealand LFS (been there and seen it myself).

I think it's the ease of use (instead of mixing with other media), weight (very light, YG have a large numbers of hanginng pots) and availability (coco chips and coco peat not easily available in Malaysia). I think most people would agree LFS is by far the best media to be use, the reason ppl are looking for alternatives is mainly because of cost and it's environmental issues (harvesting of LFS).

Don't forget YG setup professional nuseries to grow plants and couple this with a natural intermediate climate and condition... you got a close to perfect environment to grow almost any nepenthes except for those ultra H/L neps.