Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes ID Corner (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Need ID for this FEMALE plant... (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=26416)

zulteh279 4th April 2012 10:24 PM

Need ID for this FEMALE plant...

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, i need help from any sifu to ID this plant coz it turn out to be a female plant. I bought it from cbkhoon, from this thread
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=9507
it should be plant #18
need ID so that i know the hybrid plants that i'm going to get from the seeds... *biggrin2*
Many THANKS in advance...

the plant pitcher is on the background, highlighted in circle
Attachment 5224
the young pitcher
Attachment 5226
the flowering plant...
(picture taken after i've pollenate with my own stock pollen)
Attachment 5225

marcellocatalano 5th April 2012 08:48 AM

Re: Need ID for this FEMALE plant...

hello! That's N. mirabilis var. globosa

zulteh279 5th April 2012 02:30 PM

Then how about the pitcher on the foreground of the 1st picture? The one that is full red in colour...is it N. mirabilis var. globosa to?I got it along with the other plants from cbkhoon thread.

kevyn chan 6th April 2012 09:54 AM

the full red is n. mvg x kuchingensis...

zulteh279 6th April 2012 11:10 AM

to me both of the plants look the same... :)
now i can label it....
THANKS...

edwardyeeks 6th April 2012 04:36 PM

Khoon Chee Boon's plants are seedgrown, so there are some variation. To me, it looks like N. mirabilis var globosa. The one I have from KCB is the same as your redder one, zulteh.

marcellocatalano 7th April 2012 12:31 AM

Zulth, in case we're talking about home-made hybrids, I can't guarantee my identifications. Globosa and mirabilis are the same a part from the pitchers, and a young very good looking mirabilis can look like a young very bad looking globosa. The hybrid x kuchingensis is mirabilis x ampullaria. Now, if some people - I don't see why :) - are so brave to cross mirabilis x globosa or mirabilis x kuchingensis or globosa x kuchingensis, you see how the resulting seedlings - in their range of variation - can look like anything :)
The leaf base on a climbing stem and a very close look to the indumentum would help to see the presence of ampullaria.

zulteh279 7th April 2012 02:41 PM

mirabilis x globosa / mirabilis x kuchingensis / globosa x kuchingensis
all have mirabilis kind of pitcher.....

So, the only way we can tell if the plant is a hybrid with xkuchingensis is to look for ampularia trait that is if any indumentum present.

But what about if the hybrid is mirabilis x globosa, the plant pitcher would be in between...no longer than mirabilis and no shorter than globosa. But then again the variation of the pitcher from a pure sp. is diverse. So we can't really tell the plant is a pure sp. of globosa or a hybrid with mirabilis.:confused:

marcellocatalano 8th April 2012 12:14 AM

Exactely. Unfortunately it's impossible to distinguish a pure globosa from a globosa x mirabilis. That's why it's useless and dangerous to make this hybrid in cultivation just for fun or because someone had mirabilis and globosa flowering together. The main globosa feature is the very variable position of the pitcher hip, which gives the pitchers their typical globose shape. The pitcher hip in globosa can vary from being absent to be just above the midline. Differently from what many people think, the fact that the hip on a globosa plant is just above the midline, doesn't mean it's a hybrid with mirabilis. It just belongs to the normal range of variability of globosa in the wild, in both Phang-nga and Trang, the two provinces where this taxon grows. In Phang-nga, globosa and mirabilis can grow side by side, occupying different ecological niches and remaining separate taxa, and of course, even there, globosa has a variable pitcher hip. At that point it's impossible to know if a particular plant with a pitcher hip just above the midline is a (rare?) mirabilis x globosa backcross or a just a variable globosa. In Trang the two taxa don't grow together, and yet you have the same variable pitcher hips in globosa.
There are other small features typical of globosa (to read the description on my website, click on my signature), but they are hard to use to split a hybrid from a pure globosa. Usually in cultivation globosa and mirabilis x globosa are labelled correctly anyway, so if you bought your plant as globosa, it should be globosa.

About the hybrid with ampullaria, don't just check for any indumentum in general, because even mirabilis and globosa are hairy. You should check for the typical indumentum of ampullaria. Even better, just check the leaf base on the climbing stem (at the rosette level, all species look the same), because ampullaria and globosa/mirabilis are very different.

zulteh279 8th April 2012 01:08 PM

So to sum it up, it's ok/safe to ID both the plants as globosa for now... at least untill I find an evidence of ampularia trait on it.

For your infomation, the plants have not go into its climbing stage yet. I have the plants for only about a year now and both the plants is no longer then a foot tall. Actually i find it a bit odd that the plant has started to produce flower at such an early stage...any comment on that?
From what I know, a plant must go into its climbing stage first, then only it will produce flower if the conditions is right for it...