Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Care tips on these new guys (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1554)

kentosaurs 18th November 2008 10:17 AM

Care tips on these new guys

Hi everyone

I just got new neps from Fauzi yesterday and i haven't really figured out how to care for them....not that i can't keep them alive just trying to give it the best possible conditions i can ever give.

N x Lady Pauline

These one is hybrid between 2 highland nepenthes species and in the whole forum people have been growing them in lowland conditions and they look great.I was thinking since it was already grown in lowland conditions for some time can i drop the temperature of where it grows at night without harming it or do i have to slowly adapt it.If grown in lowland conditions the nep might be a little......small/pitchers...Or i can just spray it with cold water at night.

N Maxima x Fusca

I have never so far heard of this hybrid............When i google this hybrid up i find people talking bout N gentle or N velvet which i have no idea how to care fot:blush:

N Viking

I don't think i have much problem with this one since it grows in lowland conditions.The only problem is the lighting....According to what i heard from Fauzi (if i didn't hear wrongly) give it a more shaded condition to get the reddish colouration.If given to much sunlight it might bleech away the reddish colouration.

N Albomarginata

These one like N viking i have no problem since it grows in lowland conditions.Just the lighting also do i give it direct to maintain the red colouration??Anyways this one is really hairy...:biggrin:

Ken

Aliamyz 18th November 2008 12:38 PM

Re: Care tips on these new guys

Ken,
Congrates on your new neps.

xLady pauline
Lady pauline is really easy to grow but if you wish to mist it with cold water,it will be fine but you have to do it everyday routine.What i mean is don't spray today and forget misting it tomorrow.They do't like temperatre drop after acclimatizing to lowland condition.Is better if you don't mist it with cold water.

Maxima x fusca
This is a hybrid between to easy nepenthes.Although it is highland,they will grow wonderfully for you in LL conditions.Adult pitcher pic.It is called as xGentle velvet although people usually refer it to xGentle or xVelvet.

Viking
As what Fauzi told you,viking's pitcher will be more red if the pitcher is hidden somewhere in shady condition.The colour will bleach out too if exposed to direct sunlight.

Albomarginata
This species can take full sun and it need full sun for the pitcher to be red.
It's also a species which can thrive in lower humidity other than truncata.

The main thing to grow neps beautifully is how you're growing your neps now.
If your plants is pitchering big for you,means they like the conmdition you'ere giving them and all the neps should do well.
Keep us update about your plant.

My viking is growing healthy though and can't wait to see the pitcher.

kentosaurs 18th November 2008 01:23 PM

Hi Ali

Already took ur advice......Thanks for the info.

Ken

edwardyeeks 18th November 2008 04:43 PM

Well, I wish you luck in growing the new CPs that you bought from Fauzi. Mine is doing fairly fine now, my sundew has already caught 3 insects and my bical caught a fly this morning, I was watching it.:tongue:

Ahhh, I shall get a raff from Fauzi soon, after my mistake in the hookeriana.

Cheers

kentosaurs 18th November 2008 05:16 PM

Hi Edward

Well i have a raff if you want hehehehe......But dunno if you want and also when i can give you

Ken

edwardyeeks 18th November 2008 05:20 PM

What type and how big? got photo compare with you?

Cheers

NepNut 18th November 2008 06:03 PM

Hi guys,
I can't really share my growing experience for x Lady Pauline and maxima x fusca coz I don't grow them... yet. :laugh:

For viking, what Fauzi and Ali said true but to a certain extent. If the pitcher is hidden from direct sunlight, it'll produce a nice red coloration but if the plants is not getting enough sun, the pitcher shape will be slightly enlongated, not as round as what many of you have seen in the web. You need to strike a balance of these 2 factors to really get some nice looking viking's picther. BTW, viking can take full sun.

For albomarginata, they like their media on a drier side, so you don't have to water it everyday (depending on what media you use). They also can handle full sun, but if you just got it from Fauzi, I suggest you slowly introduce it to full sunlight if you wish to do that.

Hope that helps. :smile:

kentosaurs 20th November 2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,
I can't really share my growing experience for x Lady Pauline and maxima x fusca coz I don't grow them... yet. :laugh:

For viking, what Fauzi and Ali said true but to a certain extent. If the pitcher is hidden from direct sunlight, it'll produce a nice red coloration but if the plants is not getting enough sun, the pitcher shape will be slightly enlongated, not as round as what many of you have seen in the web. You need to strike a balance of these 2 factors to really get some nice looking viking's picther. BTW, viking can take full sun.

For albomarginata, they like their media on a drier side, so you don't have to water it everyday (depending on what media you use). They also can handle full sun, but if you just got it from Fauzi, I suggest you slowly introduce it to full sunlight if you wish to do that.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Hi CPnut

So well since u said if there is not enough sunlight then if i'm not wrong you mean by bright shade??? Or partial shade???? My N viking now is under bright shade(shaded by giant miranda leaves) and sometimes during the peak afternoon is direct sunlight or partial shade.....but only for max 2 hours.The viking i have now has 1 reddish pitcher and 1 developing one which looks pale even when i bought it........Maybe it will colour up once it opens...

My albomariginata now i hang at the edges of edges of the balcony trying to get as much direct sunlight as possible but for this month or so it will be hard since its always cloudy and raining so hardly any direct sunlight.Well just for info when i said edges of the balcony means that bar which doesn't let you fall....I put it in the middle to catch a little of morning more on afternoon and a little on the evening sunlight....

Ken

NepNut 20th November 2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentosaurs (Post 8139)
So well since u said if there is not enough sunlight then if i'm not wrong you mean by bright shade??? Or partial shade???? My N viking now is under bright shade(shaded by giant miranda leaves) and sometimes during the peak afternoon is direct sunlight or partial shade.....but only for max 2 hours.The viking i have now has 1 reddish pitcher and 1 developing one which looks pale even when i bought it........Maybe it will colour up once it opens...
Ken

Hi Ken,
Yes, it's normal for developing viking's pitcher to be pale in color, the color will show up when it's fully develop. Everybody's growing condition it's different, so I can't really tell you where you should place your plants on your balcony, you have to experiment and be patient, wait after 1 or 2 pitchers fully developed and see if there's any improvement you can make to get the desired result.
FYI, I have seen nursery in Thailand hang their vikings out in full direct sun and it's doing quite well except for the bleached coloration of the pitcher :laugh:

kentosaurs 20th November 2008 01:03 PM

Hi CPnut

Thanks for the continous input of advice....Well people in another forum told me that vikings can take full sun but will have paler colour pitchers......

I should have put this in my last post but.....when nepenthes starts to feel dry the first thing they normall do is curl they're lids of the pitchers rite??? As most of the pictures and what i have read N albo grows in slightly drier conditions....I water them once every 2 days....and spray them 1-2 times a day... and yet sometimes during the afternoons the lid of N albo curls in...

Ken