Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best Conditions for Growing N. Rafflesiana (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3204)

CN 20th October 2009 03:05 AM

Best Conditions for Growing N. Rafflesiana

Hi folks,
As some have read I have had some troubles growing Rafflesaina Here in Kansas , US. I have had 6 all have died not sure why wether it was soil over watering (highly doubt) or just poor quality plant . I have recently received two seed grown Raff's one i just sold the other seems to be doing ok those two have been growing in a fish tank now for well since April an Havent really moved in growth . but , the funny thing is I have one other that is a TC Raff an it is in My H/L grow Chamber an it is the one that has taken off .
It is in the same media as the others same amount of air movement humidity in the H/L chamber is 10to 20 % lower then the L/L tank.They are pretty close to the same distance away from the lights .
I havent realy fully watered my plants in about amonth due to i mist them religously so media is damp but not soaked . Hope that makes sense ...lol
Any how hope you all Low Landers can throw a life raft out an help safe these lil guy's . Because these are supposed to be easy ....lol

Daren

Robert 20th October 2009 08:40 AM

Re: Best Conditions for Growing N. Rafflesiana

Hi Daren, can you provide info of your media approx percentage mix and the media you currently used ?

CN 20th October 2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 21961)
Hi Daren, can you provide info of your media approx percentage mix and the media you currently used ?

Hi Robert,
1 part Cedar Mulch
1 part peat
2 parts perlite
½ part chopped Lfs

an thats it

Daren

Robert 20th October 2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CN (Post 21994)
Hi Robert,
1 part Cedar Mulch
1 part peat
2 parts perlite
½ part chopped Lfs

an thats it

Daren

The composition look fine. If you check the raff and root are not forming well it was the peat that discourage root growth.

CN 20th October 2009 09:52 PM

Peat would have this effect one the raff only of others , or due to the fact of it being a seedling?

Daren

Robert 21st October 2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CN (Post 21997)
Peat would have this effect one the raff only of others , or due to the fact of it being a seedling?

Daren

partly cos they are seedlings healthy roots are yet to form, the same effects have on others.

CN 21st October 2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 22003)
partly cos they are seedlings healthy roots are yet to form, the same effects have on others.

So I need to repot then you think ?

Robert 21st October 2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CN (Post 22004)
So I need to repot then you think ?

i will usually change the media under this circumstances. 1/2 perlite and 1/2 sphagnum moss would be the basic media to use.

CN 21st October 2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 22009)
i will usually change the media under this circumstances. 1/2 perlite and 1/2 sphagnum moss would be the basic media to use.

So your saying the soil needs to be wetter not dryer like N.Veitchii.
Coz more lfs means wetter media. Now I was told to grow Raff's dryer than let's say a Amp, an almost as dry as Veitchii an Truncata.

Daren

NepNut 21st October 2009 02:41 PM

I think that's your problem, most N. veitchii belongs to epiphytic nep, if you grow N. rafflesiana like you're growing N. veitchii, IMHO, it's too dry unless you water the media few times a day.