Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Interaction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Heatwave! (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1944)

Khoas 28th January 2009 03:48 PM

Heatwave!

For those that are interested.
South Eastern Australia is in a 1 in 100 year heatwave. Here in Adelaide it was 44 C yesterday, 33 C last night and 45.7 C today. It forecast for this to go until at least next Tuesday. Some of my non CP are wilting over in the day even though I am watering them everyday. It over 50 C out in the sun :crying:

marvin1997 28th January 2009 04:03 PM

Re: Heatwave!

It's 42 her at Melbourne.Hope my plant's at home are fine......Don't wilt!!!Live for me!!!!!!!

arvin555 28th January 2009 11:26 PM

Wow 44 C! 50 C! Hope your plants can cope, can't give much suggestions on how to help them.... maybe an electric fan with some kind of sprayer/mister in front to keep the temperature down at their peak? And maybe some kind of a shade?

We are now making shade brackets for shade net preparing for the summer. It is still relatively cool here in the Philippines.

Good luck!
TTFN
Arvin

strath76 29th January 2009 04:22 AM

Hi Khoas, where I am in Melbourne it was 45 yesterday. And expected to get hotter. I had a couple of Sarra that were wilting in the middle of the day despite sitting in 2 inches of water. I find it is the lack of humidity that hurts them. I have just moved as many plants as I can onto the ground/floor to try and provide some relief.

Khoas 29th January 2009 07:38 AM

It is good advice, strath76, about putting the plants on the ground. All my greenhouse and shadehouse plants are under shade. In the shadehouse the trays are rather large and on the ground. The floor is plastic at moment. The result is I get reasonable humdity after watering the CP and orchids. I only got two young sarra that seem to dying back. I actually losing cactii and succelents to the heat.
I actually off work today because of the heat, its been canelled today.

strath76 29th January 2009 10:09 AM

I know that Adelaide is usually haotter and drier than Melbourne is. This morning I called home at 9.30 to spray my plants down and it was 40 degrees. Have you got the strong dry Northerly blowing as well?

That will be the killer for my outdoor plants today. It also doesn't help to cool my little glasshouse.

David 29th January 2009 10:57 AM

Wow! 45-50 degrees! That's hot man! Talk about your plants, I woudl have problems functioning normally in these temperatures.

Robert 29th January 2009 11:35 AM

mother nature is unpreditable. we have plenty of rain since 5th jan 2009, temp cooling with lowest i noted 25.5C. we're still experiencing the wet monson but once by march it's over we get very warm weather and dry wind.ยบ

kentosaurs 29th January 2009 12:07 PM

Well lucky for KL that we don't have dry or monsoon seasons caused its blocked off by the surrounding mountains or something......I guess march to april is the wetest part of the year for KL....

45-50 is just plain nuts...My plants already sulk at 37-38C

Ken

Khoas 29th January 2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strath76 (Post 12817)
I know that Adelaide is usually haotter and drier than Melbourne is. This morning I called home at 9.30 to spray my plants down and it was 40 degrees. Have you got the strong dry Northerly blowing as well?

That will be the killer for my outdoor plants today. It also doesn't help to cool my little glasshouse.

Yep the north wind os blowing, has been blowing since last night. Last night mininum was 33.9 C. My outdoor capes are been hit but will recover. The pygmy are handling it OK. Tuberous sundew don't care, they are dormant.