Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Projects (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My new shade house (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=8968)

edwardyeeks 20th March 2011 06:27 PM

My new shade house

6 Attachment(s)
Made a new shade house for neps! Yet to put shade cloth. This was done by a close friend of my parents who works as a contractor. He happened to have a lot of wood from construction project and didn't know what to do with the wood. So he decided to help us :2thumbup:

The shade house overall:
Attachment 4568

Attachment 4569

Wood is screwed to the wall, should be very strong:
Attachment 4570

More details about the shade house and a sad orchid :blush: :
Attachment 4571

Attachment 4572

Attachment 4573

Should be done by next week or so. Sorry about the picture size, still training on resizing. Next time more "pro" *biggrin2*

jimmy0123 20th March 2011 06:37 PM

Re: My new shade house

You are so lucky to have someone doing it free for you. I have to search for materials myself and put them together and not as beautiful as yours. So wish to have professional to do it for me :crying:

Harris Azariel 20th March 2011 09:53 PM

nice shadehouse!
are u planning to make a roof to protect from rain?

edwardyeeks 20th March 2011 10:02 PM

Roof will be plastic and shade netting. That way I won't worry about the rain overwatering my neps.

jimmy0123-Don't fret! If you can find a nice contractor, building a shade house is easier! I'm lucky because my parents had a good friend :smile:

Harris Azariel 20th March 2011 11:09 PM

thats gonna be a greenhouse!
jealous la :)

kentosaurs 21st March 2011 02:43 PM

Awesome shadehouse to be :)

edwardyeeks 21st March 2011 06:07 PM

Thanks guys! It's not that big, but will fulfil what I want :smile:

paphioboy 23rd March 2011 12:10 PM

Nice... :) I built 2 hanging racks myself using angle-iron bars. 6ft high, 4ft long, 2ft wide, each cost me about RM100, but last for more than 10 years and still going strong. You might want to cover the wall with a waterproof material so that algae and moss do not grow as a result of the wet conditions when you water.. BTW, IMHO your dendrobium orchid is way overpotted. What is it potted in?

edwardyeeks 23rd March 2011 05:27 PM

Potted in LFS and very little perlite and a little charcoal. I didn't have enough media that time, so I potted in this media :blush: costs RM5 so I kinda simply growing it. Any suggestions for my orchid? Thanks for some advice on my shade house, paphioboy!

paphioboy 25th March 2011 08:40 AM

edward, dends prefer small pots as they prefer their roots to be a bit crowded. What was the plant originally grown in? If it is one of those dends from Thailand which come potted in a plastic net basket in coconut husk, then your medium may be too wet. Use 100% charcoal for dendrobiums in a 3-4-inch plastic pot. You can cut away any old rotting roots (those which are not white and fat).