Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   THE SUN!!!!! not the newspaper =_= (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1206)

kentosaurs 23rd September 2008 11:39 AM

THE SUN!!!!! not the newspaper =_=

Hi everyone my main topic i wanted to ask is literally does the sun move other than moving from the east to the west???does it move slightly north or south once awhile??:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I asked this because 2+ years back when i 1st started growing nepenthes my balcony was receiving very strong sunlight and my ventrata and my N mixta x fusca wasn't doing so well but they continue to grow but less pitchers.After months of growing neps since i started i realised that there was no more direct sunlight at all just bright light no direct sunlight.During that period of time which is until now my nepenthes has been thriving and pitchering very well for a guy which grow neps in a balcony.But a few days back the direct sunlight sudenly came back and now is shining brightly to my neps which are nearest to the outdoors,slowly getting more light.This is good for my sarrcs and VFTs but not that good for my neps.So my question is does the sun move other than the east to the west???To me it does judjing by the sunlight my balcony recives now but so far no negatif affects yet.:laugh::laugh:So is my thoery of the moving sun true hahhahaha

Ken

shawnintland 23rd September 2008 12:19 PM

Re: THE SUN!!!!! not the newspaper =_=

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentosaurs (Post 4125)
Hi everyone my main topic i wanted to ask is literally does the sun move other than moving from the east to the west???does it move slightly north or south once awhile??:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I asked this because 2+ years back when i 1st started growing nepenthes my balcony was receiving very strong sunlight and my ventrata and my N mixta x fusca wasn't doing so well but they continue to grow but less pitchers.After months of growing neps since i started i realised that there was no more direct sunlight at all just bright light no direct sunlight.During that period of time which is until now my nepenthes has been thriving and pitchering very well for a guy which grow neps in a balcony.But a few days back the direct sunlight sudenly came back and now is shining brightly to my neps which are nearest to the outdoors,slowly getting more light.This is good for my sarrcs and VFTs but not that good for my neps.So my question is does the sun move other than the east to the west???To me it does judjing by the sunlight my balcony recives now but so far no negatif affects yet.:laugh::laugh:So is my thoery of the moving sun true hahhahaha

Ken

Hi Ken...how's this for magic - I bet your porch faces South! Yep, if you think about the seasonal changes and lengthening of the daylight hours in 'summer' and shortening in winter, you'll see that (in Northern Hemisphere) the sun appears to move South in the winter and North in the summer. Hence why we have 'summer' and 'winter'!

I know you must face South because 3 days ago my porch which faces directly South just started getting hit again. By mid November I get full sun under the eaves of my porch and really have to keep an eye on my plants.

Check wikipedia or elsewhere on the web, I'm sure there's some great diagrams and explainations out there that explain it better than I can! :blush:

kentosaurs 23rd September 2008 12:28 PM

Hi shawn,

Thanks for replying but actually my balcony is facing north not south but its not directly north slightly to the east so its more like NE....no offense but i think u got it wrong hahaha...unless the sun rises from the west hhahahaahah which is definitly not so my balcony faces NE...And since we we get a little affect of the hemisphere stuff.....(I ASSUME) we are closer to the souther hemisphere so now the northern hemisphere is having their autumm so the southern should be having spring and therefore slowly more sunlight for us????hahahaha just a theory with no scientific base on it.

Ken

strath76 23rd September 2008 02:05 PM

Hi Ken, you are on the right track with the sun 'moving' north and south. To try and put it simply, the earths orbit is slightly skewed. Such that if you take a globe it does not sit directly up and down on the poles. It rotates with the poles slightly off to the side. This is what gives the north and south hemispheres the distinct change in weather.

This is less pronounced where you are as you are close to the equator where the amount of light remains relatively constant. In the southern Hemisphere we have summer solstice on the 22nd of December. This is the day with the most day light hours (longest time between sunrise and sunset). The 22nd of June is winter solstice which is the opposite.

This all means that yes the earth does move around the sun in such away that the sun appears to be more south or north depending on the time of the year. Hope this helps explainit and that it makes some sort of sense.

shawnintland 23rd September 2008 05:16 PM

Waaaaa! I guess I need to check a map again!:blush: Isn't KL in the Northern Hemisphere (even if 'just')? Here in Thailand, I can watch the sun set into the ocean by Dec/Jan when it reaches it's furthest South point, by June it sets waaaay to the North behind the mountains. Sunday was the Autumn Equinox, the midpoint between solar summer (longest days) and solar winter (shortest days). As I said, my porch is just starting to get 'cooked' the last few days, each day a little more and I know I face straight South as I look out onto the Southern cross over the sea every night when I go to bed! Of course, I'm willing to admit that I just MAY have it totally backwards!:tongue:

Here's a diagram I just found on the web;
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j.../solarpath.jpg

Anyway, when I was young....a looooong time ago(!) I had fun for a year (or maybe only half a year) marking my balcony railing with grooves marking the points at which the sun set every evening while I was sitting in the same spot. Of course I didn't have a nice 'over the ocean' view and there were cloudy days but I remember that it was impressive to see how far it moved. (I was quite far North in America).

Keep us updated on what you find out please!

Cindy 23rd September 2008 06:06 PM

My whole apartment moves towards the East after the Northern's Summer Solstice on 20 June 2008. :laugh:

My balcony is facing North, slightly to the West. Basically it translates to the place having direct sunlight streaming in during the late afternoons from the month of April till October. Other than that, it only receives bright indirect light.

kentosaurs 23rd September 2008 08:17 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the helping hand from everyone.

Some of my plants now are having very strong direct sunlight which is good in some ways gives the pitchers or traps good colouration,especially all the cp's which don't originate from SEA which is my VFT and Sarrcenia.They are the ones benefiting the most for this time of the year.

I always thought that the condominium being constructed somewhere near my area probally 500m away was blocking all the direct sunlight from my balcony and receiving only bright indirect sunlight.I guess now i know that the reducing sunlight isn't affected by the building but its by mother nature itself.

Shawn since KL is definitly in the southern part of the world thats why its called south east asia,it is nearer to the southern hemisphere.Since Koh Samui is an island around the east coastof the Kra Isthmus in Thailand, close to the mainland SuratThani town and mainly thailand is further north it might be more to the north of the world.KL is already 348km if im not wrong north from the equator belt. its already slightly north so thailand is definitly further up.Like you said i was very suprised about the amount of lenght the sunlight moves.Got some really intresting facts about your place at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_SamuiThanks BTW for the diagram

Ken

kentosaurs 8th January 2009 12:10 PM

Hi

Oops looks like Shawn was right after all I didn't know how could i make such a mistake but my balcony does face south......Sorry :p So since this thread is from spetember and till now my balcony is recieving more and more sunlight so when does the direct sun goes down??

Ken

arvin555 8th January 2009 02:07 PM

Oh and Ken, sorry but the Philippines is considered within South East Asia too, but we are in the Northern Hemisphere! The South in South East Asia I think does not indicate which hemisphere the countries are located, it has to do with the rest of "Asia".

Malaysia is not in SEA, it's "Truely Asia" mwahahahaha!

TTFN
Arvin