Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Cephalotus (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   what kind of light to use for a cephalotus terrarium? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1773)

malowie 29th December 2008 07:51 PM

what kind of light to use for a cephalotus terrarium?

I bought a few pots of cephalotus recently and am interested to make a terrarium for them..

i was just wondering what kind of bulbs to use. are those fluorescent tubes we usually use for our homes sufficient for the cephalotus in the terrarium?

also, how far must the bulb be from the cephalotus for optimum growth?

is it better to grow cephalotus outdoors or in a terrarium?

and, would it be advisable to place my terrarium in my room, whereby the AC will be switched on at night for a temperature drop?

thanks.

Delwin 2nd January 2009 12:02 AM

Re: what kind of light to use for a cephalotus terrarium?

T5ho lights are good for the cephs, but you must add fan to help air circulation and remove excess humid:1thumbup:

alcran 2nd January 2009 12:51 AM

T5's might produce too much heat in an enclosed system. You could go with T8's. They remain cool enough to touch after being lit for 14 hours. If you have the extra money electronic balasts produce much less heat.

malowie 2nd January 2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delwin (Post 11006)
T5ho lights are good for the cephs, but you must add fan to help air circulation and remove excess humid:1thumbup:

a fan is a must is it? gosh i wonder where can i get those fans.. today i went to a lighting shop.. they sold T5 lights 2 feet, 14 watt.. each for RM14.. so i was wondering whether two fluorescent 14 watt bulbs would be enough for my terrarium.

any suggestions?

thanks

Nigel :2thumbup:

malowie 2nd January 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcran (Post 11010)
T5's might produce too much heat in an enclosed system. You could go with T8's. They remain cool enough to touch after being lit for 14 hours. If you have the extra money electronic balasts produce much less heat.

T8's? oh i didnt know T8's can be used as well. guess i will go around scouting and comparing between T8 and T5.

im sorry but what are electronic ballasts?

thanks.

Delwin 3rd January 2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malowie (Post 11033)
a fan is a must is it? gosh i wonder where can i get those fans.. today i went to a lighting shop.. they sold T5 lights 2 feet, 14 watt.. each for RM14.. so i was wondering whether two fluorescent 14 watt bulbs would be enough for my terrarium.

any suggestions?

thanks

you can go fish shop to get a mini clip on fan, for sundews, T5 heat dont do much harm and can have the light spectrum penatrate more distance then T8. With fan blowing at the top of the tank, it can cool down abit on the lights, and draw air out of the tank. E-ballast produce less heat then normal magnetic -ballast, and the lights produced will be more stable. T5 light tubes with indivdual reflextor, you can get more lights intensity out of lights per tube, furthermore, you can add more tubes onto one tank. For T5HO 2 feet is 24watt.
Hope this clear any dou

Regards,
Delwin.

caseyhoo 3rd January 2009 12:13 AM

Beside that, lighting color that measure in Kelvin is the others thing that need to watch out!!!

I think, there for is thread discussion on lighting color that measure in Kelvin. Better check it out...

Delwin 3rd January 2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseyhoo (Post 11073)
Beside that, lighting color that measure in Kelvin is the others thing that need to watch out!!!

I think, there for is thread discussion on lighting color that measure in Kelvin. Better check it out...

For T5s, if you are thinking of adding just two tubes, i would suggest to go for 6500k or as we called daylight. Beside that you can mix with with one 6500k and a 5000k for colouring. 5000k with more red spectrum with helps on its colouration.
Hope thats clear up abit.
Regards,
Delwin.