Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Question on planting and sowing media (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3469)

kizer 9th December 2009 09:48 PM

Question on planting and sowing media

Hi everyone, I visited a nursery today to get some media for my new nepthenes and drosera seeds. I was finding spahgnum moss and peat moss but I was told that the owner didn't store any so he recommended me some media that he also uses for his neps. The content of the media was alltogether burnt soil, coco peat, charcoal, river sand and HUMUS. I told his it was for CPs and he said it was alright so i bought a bag. Now i'm posting this to ensure that this media is safe for my CPs because there is humus in it. It was also labeled "Very Old Soil.

Hope someone can help me, Thanks:smile:

marvin1997 10th December 2009 10:06 AM

Re: Question on planting and sowing media

Erm humus?The other media is alright for planting neps (ONLY) but it doesn't sound good for sowing seeds?

kevyn chan 10th December 2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin1997 (Post 23803)
Erm humus?The other media is alright for planting neps (ONLY) but it doesn't sound good for sowing seeds?

hi marvin,
then what would you like to suggest alan to use for his seed sowing project? dont left him wondering and buying more unnecessary items. right alan?*biggrin2*

kizer 10th December 2009 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info, now to kick the nursery owner's a** . I guess I already know what to find, just that I need to search harder.

marvin1997 11th December 2009 11:22 AM

Oops sorry hehheh...use peat for for geminating seeds or chopped shpagnum moss.Because if you didn't chop up the sm you'll find it hard to pepot your seedlings.

kevyn chan 11th December 2009 12:59 PM

how bout the container to germinate the seeds? perforated or completely sealed? the humidity level?
alan, looks like you hooked up with new hobby ....and you can feed them with your cull bettas...ha ha ha and go kick some a**!!!

kizer 11th December 2009 05:01 PM

Yea got new hobby already*biggrin2*

Just got some peat today , the brand is called Peatgro.

Anyone tried this before?:confused:

marvin1997 14th December 2009 10:38 AM

I think I saw these type just recently...Haven't used all of my peat so let us know the result ar..You don't need to cover the nepenthes seed's container but you better cover the droseras'...Clear containers for nepenthes if you wish to cover them but maybe mold will grow