Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Introduction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New member from central Florida (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1960)

radarguy 2nd February 2009 12:38 AM

New member from central Florida

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings all,
I have been interested in CPs as long as I can remember, or at least since I watched Johnny Weismiller get trapped by one. However, I live here in Florida and although it is semitropical I have had a hard time sustaining our precious plants. I have tried many things like making my own terrarium with grow lamps (very large and expensive). That did not work. The best success I had was when I had an air conditioned office with a southern view and I was diligent in keeping them watered. That worked until I lost my office. Now I have a 10 gallon aquarium on its side with a homemade door that I leave ajar on the patio that seems to be working better. As an experiment I am trying a flytrap and some Drosera (these grow naturally here just a couple of miles from my house). The Darlingtonia Californica did not last, as I expected. Are there any enthusiasts local to Orlando?
Russell

alcran 2nd February 2009 12:50 AM

Re: New member from central Florida

Welcome!
I believe your difficulties come from the fact that you are growing your plants in a terrarium. The humidity in Florida is more than enough. Just leave your plants outdoors. If you can, get a nep. The lowlanders would do great in Florida.

kentosaurs 2nd February 2009 09:45 AM

Hi

Welcome....Like alcran said your CPs should do good outdoors as it has almost optimal temps and humidity for the lowland neps.....But you guys do get some rare winter chills right? Just protect your neps during those times..Anyways welcome

Ken

paphioboy 2nd February 2009 10:27 AM

Welcome! :)

Khoas 2nd February 2009 12:24 PM

Welcome tp forum. Hopefully we have members from whole of the ring of fire.

bactrus 2nd February 2009 12:58 PM

Welcom Radarguy. You a radar technician or something? You subtropical climate will be excellent for lowland neps, Droseras and Sarracenias will do well too. Have fun here.

marvin1997 2nd February 2009 01:30 PM

Welcome!You can put your cps out there alright.They have winter time there?I think your cps can go dormant in the same time!Just my opinion.And Darlingtonia grow in cold climate.And you can collect them from the wild?

Amelie.Poulain 2nd February 2009 01:39 PM

Marvin, it's illegal to collect Darlingtonia from the wild, radarguy could get into a lot of trouble if he's caught.

plantlover 2nd February 2009 02:53 PM

Welcome to Petpitcher, Radarguy.

marvin1997 2nd February 2009 05:25 PM

I thought he said drosera and VFT?Are they illegal too?