Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Drosera (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drosera capensis (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2156)

Khoas 30th March 2009 06:47 PM

Drosera capensis

Got a photo of a mature Cape sundew 'Thin-leaf'. This plant is a few years old. Can't understand how people can kill this species :smile:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...e1Edited-1.jpg

Ifurita 30th March 2009 10:29 PM

Re: Drosera capensis

Its qute easy actually. All you need is 24/7 Tropcal heat, 365 days a year and a fair lack of skill at growing CPs and tada! Dead D. capensis.

For me, these guys are even spreading to my other pots without any help from me...from 1 plant I've now got 10 or so.

caseyhoo 30th March 2009 10:41 PM

:shy::shy::shy: Im new to capensis... I just got a typical capensis 2 months ago...

May I know capensis flower can self polite? or need flowers from difference plant in order to have seeds? :crying:

arvin555 30th March 2009 11:33 PM

I had a capensis that looked similar to that in the photo (but one plant) it died after 1 week while I was away :( I thought that it is not healthy for them to grow that high out of the medium, but if your's has been like that for a long time, then I won't be doing anything different with the others I have in my collection.

casey, you know I heard that and read that too, but I have had a lot of capensis flower, dry up on the stalk with the plant, but no seeds at all! The best way for me at least is to do leaf cuttings, I have never produced seeds with mine even though they do flower from time to time. Heck I know that the flower stalk when cut while young can give plantlets as well. So yes anyone can confirm about capensis self pollenation? Or at the least please share capensis pollenation cross or manual (self) techniques. We would appreciate it!

TTFN
Arvin

caseyhoo 31st March 2009 12:04 AM

arvin555, i just tried 2 leaf 2 weeks ago. Result is failed... Will try it again when those plant have enough leaf for me...

Khoas, im going to have a lots of capensis 'alba' and 'all red'!!! because, they just germinated... Others seeds, still waiting... :1thumbup:

Khoas 31st March 2009 02:28 PM

Normally the basic forms of capensis will self pollinate. In fact they set seeds so well here they are pest, jumping pot and taking over other pot with smaller Drosera in it. I just got rid off few hundred seedling cleaning up my sale plants of capensis.
The plant in the photo is (it is only one plant with two growing points) a seed grown plant. The rosette was level with the potting mix. They will form a woody stem and multiple growing points in about 2 to 3 years from seeds here in South Australia.
One thing, if you do have good size plant that die off and the plant looks dead do not throw the pot out. I seen them come back from their roots up to 3 to 4 months of been completely dry. Drosera binata and hamlitonii does the same trick if the rosette dies off.

TS 31st March 2009 09:28 PM

Casey, it will self pollinate. :laugh:
My oldest D. capensis has been in my garden for more than 5 to 6 years already. That was the only plant survived from the whole bunch I bought many years ago. Luckily I got the trick to grow it before all gone. *biggrin2* Same thing go for my D. madagascariensis, phew.:sweating:

caseyhoo 1st April 2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoas (Post 14736)
Normally the basic forms of capensis will self pollinate.

That mens, not all capensis will self pollinate. My D. capensis 'giant' flower and it didnt produce any seeds at all!!!!

TS 1st April 2009 10:50 AM

D.capensis giant do produce seeds. Mine produced seeds.:2thumbup:

Khoas 1st April 2009 03:13 PM

All varieties will self pollinate if the conditions are right. With 'All Red', 'Giant', and 'Mini-red' will produce more seeds if cross with another flower.