Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Leaf Pulling Propagation (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3254)

tzestan 1st November 2009 11:28 PM

Leaf Pulling Propagation

4 Attachment(s)
I tried VFT propagation using leaf pulling recently.

1) Uproot the mother plant.
Attachment 2584

2) Take leaves till the tip of rhizome.
Attachment 2585

3) Place in shallow LSF with mostly closed lid for high humidity. Box is placed in bright indirect sunlight.
Attachment 2586

Then... long waiting. After 5.5 weeks, a plantlet emerges.:smile:
Attachment 2587

50% success rate this round. It is the leaf that stays closer to the box opening producing plantlet. The other leaf rotted away, probably too wet.

caseyhoo 2nd November 2009 12:46 AM

Re: Leaf Pulling Propagation

That is really great progress update!!!!

marvin1997 2nd November 2009 03:24 PM

Oh I've gotta try it again....Your Vft has a HUGE rhizome should make more haha

Jarvis 3rd November 2009 10:15 AM

good skill to reroot the plant....let us improve experience...:1thumbup:

foxngn 18th January 2010 12:15 AM

Hi Tan,

May i know is there any a necessary media i need to place them on ?
Currently i let them seat on top of a layer of peat moss, below are sphagnum moss.

I was placing them in a flower pot too, but doesn't cover them to gain higher humidity, i just place it together with my other plant, will that work too? or its work better if i have something to cover most of it up, to boost up the humidity?

Also, may i know does it necessary to bury the while part of the leaf into the media ?

arvin555 18th January 2010 12:18 PM

I have only experience with Sphagnum moss, so can't say about the best medium to use.

Not necessary to bury the whole part of the plant, usually you bury a bit of the base (white) part but ideally not the whole base. You can put some medium on the other parts of the leaf, but that is just to keep it close to the surface, they tend to die off eventually anyway, it is the base part that stays longer and grows a plantlet.

I have had plantlets grow on a cutting without a cover, but we tend to like the cover for humidity, unless you have problems with molds and maybe algae, then try one without cover and one with cover.

TTFN
Arvin

tzestan 19th January 2010 10:25 PM

Same as Arvin, leaf pulling posted here was the only one I performed so far. Next trial will probably be end of this year. I won't be able to comment on what would be the best procedure. The base of rhizome must be kept moist continually in the process. Without cover, I guess let the rhizome buried slightly deeper, like 5mm may help. But don't press the soil hard.

Given choice, dividing a plant with multiple crowns is a simpler way to get more mature plants.

nico d.r. 27th February 2010 12:14 PM

can you do this procedure anytime during the year/will doing this at the at the start of spring to ensure plants before the cold (fall/winter).:2thumbup:

tzestan 27th February 2010 04:04 PM

I live in the tropics. For temperate growers, I believe you need to allow the plantlet to grow for a couple of months before it is strong enough to endure the winter. That means late spring would be the latest to do it. However, you may do it anytime if you keep it indoors or heated greenhouse.