Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any idea of this specie? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1273)

Simon Goh 6th October 2008 02:16 AM

Any idea of this specie?

2 Attachment(s)
hi all,

I took this 2 pictures from one of the mountain(1,934m a.s.l.) between Behrang Ulu/Tanjung Malim, Perak.

Can I say it is N. Macfarlanei? :confused:

1 thing very obvious, the lid is densely covered with short white/light brown hairs.

Any comment?

:smile:

Sockhom 6th October 2008 02:24 AM

Re: Any idea of this specie?

Hi Simon,

Yes, it is N. macfarlanei: the bristles under the lid are an unmistakable feature.
Gorgeous pitchers and pictures by the way. Do you have some shots left?

Thanks for sharing,

François.

rsivertsen 6th October 2008 04:43 AM

Wow, Simon, I don't recall seeing any N. macfarlanei with hairs that long under the lids, but without looking over the entire plant, leaves, petioles, stem attachment and all, I would have to say that it seems to be an extreme form of N. macfarlanei at least! Specifically those in the Genting Highlands, where they may have some gene pool contamination with N. ramispina, and even N. sanguinea since many areas have all three species growing together near each other. Very nice indeed. I hope you can get some fresh seed of these some time! ;) - Rich

Simon Goh 6th October 2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sockhom (Post 4709)
Hi Simon,

Yes, it is N. macfarlanei: the bristles under the lid are an unmistakable feature.
Gorgeous pitchers and pictures by the way. Do you have some shots left?

Thanks for sharing,

François.

hi Sockhom,
Thanx for your comment. Sorry, No extra shots.

This pix was taken mid of last year, and we are on 4days XPDC.

Simon Goh 6th October 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsivertsen (Post 4711)
Wow, Simon, I don't recall seeing any N. macfarlanei with hairs that long under the lids, but without looking over the entire plant, leaves, petioles, stem attachment and all, I would have to say that it seems to be an extreme form of N. macfarlanei at least! Specifically those in the Genting Highlands, where they may have some gene pool contamination with N. ramispina, and even N. sanguinea since may areas have all three species growing together near each other. Very nice indeed. I hope you can get some fresh seed of these some time! ;) - Rich

hi Rich,
I am planning to go back & spend atleast 1nite at the peak some time Q1 next year.

Thanx for your feedback.

kltower 11th October 2008 01:25 AM

Simon/François,

I begged to differ. I don't think this is N. macfarlanei. I think it is the upper pitcher of what Stewart McPherson's referred as of N. gracillima.
http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com...gracillima/496

What we currently accept as N. gracillima is according to Stewart McPherson's N. alba.

Choong

rsivertsen 11th October 2008 03:07 AM

N. gracillima doesn't have those hairs under the lid, but it could be a hybrid of that into N. macraflanei, but then I would imagine those hairs would not be as long as they are on this plant. It most likely is a form of N. macfarlanei unique to this area. - Rich

Sockhom 11th October 2008 05:13 AM

Hi,

Stewart sent me pictures of what he considers to be the true N. gracillima (the actual gracillima is N. alba) and I don't think either that your plant is Stewart's plant.
Like Rich, I think you found a peculiar population of N. macfarlanei - an outstanding one.

François.

jgriffin 11th October 2008 08:49 AM

I kind of thought it looked like a bit of backcrossing with the other species also. It is a gorgeous plant not matter what it is.
N. alba? Is that offically described?

Cheers,

Joe

Aliamyz 11th October 2008 11:48 AM

Yes i was thinking about that too.It doesn't look like macfarlanei to me but kinda gracilima features!