Read-Only Forum Archive
Thread: Drosera photos
View Single Post
Old 25th June 2009, 10:19 AM
Advisor
Global Moderator

Default Re: Drosera photos

Well capensis is a south african and south australia has a slimilar climate. This climate is long, dry, hot summer with a cool, wet winter. It reach over 40 C in summer here but it never goes below 2 C. Cape sundew are actually consider a weed in many collections here because it does grow so well here. It is good thing that our soil types and prolong droughts stop it becoming a weed in bush.
I think a few weeks, at night, in the fridge every year would simulate a winter. Other growers in the tropical climate might have suggestions for growing capensis.
All my non tuberous sundew alway stand in a shallow tray of water. They do like wet feet while they are in active growth.
My mix for the 'normal' (i.e not tuberous or pygmy) Drosera is 50/50 sphagnum peat moss (canadian) and wash quartz sand of about 1mm to .25 mm diameter. Only difference for the many of the tuberous and pygmy sundew is a sandier mix.
The biggest problems I have with outdoor cultivation is the very dry winds we have. I overcome this by lining the water tray with 30cm high walls made out of shadecloth.
Final note about the cape sundew I have over 1 gram of capensis 'abla' seeds so if you don't want seedling cut the flowering scape off.