Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Fungicide for mold that is not toxic for humans.

Hello

For mold, a gardening expert suggested to use Betadine that contains iodine and to mix 2 ml per10 liters of water and then to water in the soil. However, I did a search and could not find any examples of where people used it for carnivorous plants so I am not sure if you know of anyone that has tried it.

Some of these natural fungal controls that I have listed may be very affective as a preventative if they are watered in the soil or sprayed on the surface on a regular basis. The water based fungicide mixes could also be used as the only water source for the seedlings. They could be watered in from the top when the seedlings develop and perhaps sprayed on the surface and added to the water tray before the seeds germinate. What could be done is a number of the seeds of the same species could be grown in a few different containers where each one is watered with a different one of the non or low toxicity fungicides. The same number of seeds could be sown in each container. The growth of the seedlings would then be compared in each container and to another container where no fungicide is used and to another one where a commonly recommended fungicide for carnivorous plants is used.

It would be good if a few people did this experiment because different people have different conditions and they have different plants. We need to determine if any of these fungicides have any detrimental affect on the growth of the plants. The growth rate and germination rate of the plants could be noted along with how much fungi or algae develop. The same peat moss mix from the same bag would need to be used for each container for consistency. A number of different species could be tried in this manner. Could you please post back what results you get and encourage some people to do this experiment. Also, it would be appreciated if you could do a search to find if anyone has done this experiment or tried any of these non or low toxicity fungicides on carnivorous plants.

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard