Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 26th October 2008, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Coconut husk chips anyone?

Jonathan,

Living in Kuala Lumpur I believe you are ~3-4 degrees north of the Equator. Panama is ~ 9 degrees north. By this I mean to say that we probably share very similar weather. I have one or two plants that are potted up in coconut husk chips mixed with sphagnum moss, I only water these guys 3 times a week tops. Sometimes only once or twice. It has been raining a lot lately though so that might be the reason. They seem to be doing fine and growing healthy hence why I want to change my mix to coconut husk. For lowlanders, perhaps adding more peat and or sphagnum moss into the mix will allow it to stay moist for longer periods of time. I want to be sure that my mix drains well and has good air circulation but I also want it to hold enough water just in case I have to go away for a few days I dont have to be worried about it drying out. Also, if I wanted to fertilize any plants I want the medium to be well draining in order to respctively flush out any possible residual salts and mineral builup. Thanks you for your answer.
Later!

Grow List