Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Greetings from Singapore

Thanks guys for the welcome. Hope to share my brief experience and mistakes, and learn from those who've done it before.

Shawn,
I've made many attempts with P. ridleyi and it was only recently that I saw some results. Still working on the ridleyi but I seem to be growing more weeds.

Posted the following pics in a SG forum on 20th July and was sooo happy, thinking that these were ridleyi sporophytes stage but was informed that these are more likely to be Nephrolepis biserrata, since the leaves are lobulated (or divided into lobes).

Click on image for larger pic.

I was looking for images of ridleyi sporophytes and finally saw it in one of the threads here. Searching through my grow-out boxes, I found a few and transferred these to a decom'ed aquarium (glass-covered), with sphagnum/peat base (much like yours).

Encouraged that I could actually grow some platys from spores, I've recently sown P. alcicorne (Madagascar form), coronarium, holttumii, wallichii and more ridleyi. Possibly, P. andinum as well in the coming weeks.

Yesterday, the weather was great and thought it'd be a good idea to bring my youngest daughter along to the nurseries for a quick look-see. Hah! I was right to stay away from nurseries... because I came home with another elephantotis!

Regards,
Ronnie