Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 16th January 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: CP seed advisable media

I've been collecting advice on Drosera seed germinating media from everyone that has been sending me seeds. Most all of the 'experts' have been telling me to use 1:1 peat;sand or 1:2 p/s. A few have mentioned that at least the upper layer should be heavier on the sand as this discourages moss which will overtake the seedlings.

As usual, I'm experimenting! My sand is often contaminated with loads of weed seeds, so I have just screened a bunch of my finest grained pumice stones and am mixing the resulting "pumice sand" with peat at about 1 (peat):1.5 (pumice sand). I will plant the plug trays with 1-2 seed/cell and put them in my hydro-tables where they can get water from the bottom (like tray method). I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks!

PS Ken - I find it best to use finely chopped (I use a blender...but I've also burned out 2 blenders now!) for Nep seeds. If you use LFS you have a hard time transplanting the seedlings without pulling up all the other seedlings at the same time. I've never tried peat with my nep seeds but it works spectacularly for fern spore germination!