Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 12th September 2010, 01:12 AM

Default Re: in vitro first sprout

Hi Robert,

From what I understand, PPM is an additive to the Agar itself, and prevents contamination on the medium... contamination of your Tissue is of course through sterilization such as your mentioned Chlorine, some actually say Hydrogen Peroxide, etc. I also think that once the Tissue is in the TC medium, the PPM will also probably protect it from Contamination as well.

I have a feeling that Kitchen Tissue Culture will be able to ship directly to you, if you order from them. That would already be as simple or as complicated as buying from Peninsular Malaysia.

Just my 2 cents here, I think that because VFT leaves are easy to disinfect... no need to start from seeds, you can just cut a leaf or two and that is the start of your Tissue, just disinfect the leaves or pieces properly. At least this way, no waiting for germination. As mentioned the only CP that is difficult to TC are Neps, because apparently getting Tissues from nepenthes plants and successfully and effectively sterilizing them is almost impossible.

So if you don't mind, and have the time.... May I challenge you or request you to please experiment by cutting up one of your more common nepenthes plant (just a stem cutting don't worry) and try to get a Meristem from it and then try to get that going in TC medium.

TTFN
Arvin