View Single Post
Old 29th June 2008, 10:58 PM
Technical Administrator

Default Re: David: Byblis liniflora

cindy
Global Moderator

Re: Byblis liniflora
« Reply #60 on Aug 10, 2007, 9:53am »

Quote:So this means for byblis to germinate we need to send it via snail mail... haa, haa, just kidding.

Don know laa, maybe after removing them from the fridge, we should keep it outside for a few days before sowing them as that is about the time the post office takes to deliver to forum members. Seem to have some germination

David, it is not a joke. Some Byblis growers overseas actually leave their seeds outside at room temperature for a few weeks before sowing. Some guy left his packet out accidentally and they germinated very well for him.

But if the bleach works better or at least consistently, just do it.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged caseyhoo

« Reply #61 on Aug 13, 2007, 2:06pm »

Quote:This is my 1st time germinate CP, can I share my method?

In my case, I straight away sow them to blended S. moss.

So far (days 14), 1 or 5 seed germinated.

Today is day 17 since I sow the seed. The plant is producing 3 stem. Can I remove the plastic? The things that I scare is rain... Can Byblis liniflora expose to rain?

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2007, 2:54pm by caseyhoo »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
David
Administrator

« Reply #62 on Aug 13, 2007, 4:40pm »
I think if you want to remove the plastic cover, do it gradually so that the plantlets can acclimatise to the lower hunidity.

Better shade them from the rain. They're too small to take a droplet of water about 5 times their size splashing on top of them. Might breack their fragile thin stems.

Even for my adult plant, I do not water from the top. Once I took it to the bathroom to give it a shower. It produces alot of dews and all the leaves stuck together. The whole plant fell flat on the media. I thought I killed it. Lucky didn't die. Then I thought the leaves would naturally release themselves from beihg stuck together. Did not happen. I had to pry open each leave. Those that were allowed to dry out was quite difficult to separate.

So better not let it get rain laa.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #63 on Aug 13, 2007, 10:33pm »
Casey : i leave my tiny small stem one in the open with a small loose plastic cover on top, so that the byblis would get fresh air and sunshine. don`t make the same mistake as me in keeping the byblis away from direct sunlite for too long coz it`ll be stunted. Mine is flowering at 3 " coz it`s an old plant despite the size.....happy growing.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged caseyhoo

« Reply #64 on Aug 13, 2007, 11:22pm »
Thanx for imformation. I think im going to DIY a plastic cover that made by taufufa mug, with some hole at side of it... to protect my lovely plant from rain.

Cheers...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
mukaketupat

« Reply #65 on Aug 14, 2007, 11:12am »
hi guys

i got my liniflora seeds from david. and how its quite besar already and flowering. the thing is, mine is scrambling all over. it grows upwards but to the sides. very weird. and im thinking of repotting because the pot seems too small for it. has anyone ever done this? sorry no photo but will post that up soon.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #66 on Aug 14, 2007, 1:37pm »
Ezrena : the roots quite delicate. David has repotted his with the attitude `die die lah` coz his pot was too cramped for the 3 byblis. his was a success story. try to re-pot with minimal or no root disturbance at all. i repotted my tiny one without any problems at all.
David : comment ?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #67 on Aug 14, 2007, 2:11pm »
Ezrena, it is normal for byblis to tilt sideways. As they grow larger they will fall on the ground. In the wild they rest on other plants and scramble on the ground. My plant looks upwards because I made a support for the stem from straws. Even so, it is too high now for the suppoert and it has bent over. So it is normal.

I use a sharp scissors to cut the pot from top to bottom and tear open the plastic. From there I lift the potting media and plant from the pot without disturbing the roots and media. Then I just place it in a bigger pot and fill up the gaps with more potting media.

Make sure the stem don't bend over. It is very thin and tend to do this. I thought I killed mine when it fell on the media after I moved it. But lucky it's still alive. The stems seems very soft and flexible, but don bet on it. Just be careful.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2007, 2:14pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on Aug 14, 2007, 7:07pm »
I've repotted only seedlings. In fact, I am quite in the habit of repotting them because I sow all the seeds into one pot. When one seed germinates, I'll remove it. Errmm...I think the tallest I've repotted is about an inch.

Young adults? Don't try unless you are just removing the whole chuck of media and putting it into a larger pot like David described.

I've brought a Byblis plant for display at the Singapore Garden Festival last year. It was pretty long and was flopping over. I made a loop with the lower part of the stem, bury it under sphagnum moss and ta-da! it stood vertical.

Administrator

« Reply #69 on Aug 15, 2007, 9:23am »
What I do is similar to Cindy. When the plants are small, I place them in a pot with the media only up to 2/3 of the pot. As the plant gets bigger, the side of the pots actually help support the plant. Later on I just add more media until the brim of the pot when the plant gets taller.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

« Reply #70 on Aug 15, 2007, 9:26am »
Perhaps now when it gets even taller, I'll use Cindy's suggestion. Make a loop on the stem and cover it with potting media.

Actually come to think about it, their vines are quite flexible huh and it does not kill the plant even when it is bend suddenly. Cool.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #71 on Aug 15, 2007, 9:34am »
they have in-built gymnast genes....
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged lisham

« Reply #72 on Aug 15, 2007, 1:35pm »
from your description... not gymnasts genes la.... more like yoga people person...
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged mukaketupat

« Reply #73 on Aug 17, 2007, 12:34pm »
wow. thanks guys. david, i will try your method!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #74 on Aug 29, 2007, 6:08pm »
I am finally allowing the plants to flower!

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #75 on Aug 29, 2007, 6:20pm »
Just lovely Cindy...just curious, why weren`t they allowed to flower before this ?
Global Moderator

« Reply #76 on Aug 29, 2007, 8:32pm »
I have got this theory that they should only be allowing to flower when they are old enough so that the quality of seeds is good. I do that with all my sundews except D. burmannii which pops up everywhere.
Administrator

« Reply #77 on Aug 30, 2007, 9:24am »
Cindy, what media are you using for your byblis? Looks kinda whitish and I can't really see clearly on the picture. Is that perlite?

You are right about the seeds. I allow my plants to flower when they are very young but I realised the seed pods are really tiny and seeds are tiny too. Don't seem to me that they will germinate. Some seedd pods do not have seeds at all too. But when the plants get bigger, the seeds seems to be stronger.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007, 9:26am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #78 on Aug 30, 2007, 9:56am »
Alas, i waited until my binata was about 5 inches before I allowed it to flower. The flower stalk grew up to max height about 7 inches, started to develop flower buds...then dried up ! aiya ! the plant itself seems to be a little affected by the effort in producing the pre-buds but otherwise fine. Was so looking forward to see the flowers itself.
Global Moderator

« Reply #79 on Aug 30, 2007, 11:07am »
David, the best seeds are inbetween. The ones in the beginning are not so good...towards the end too. Btw, that's fine sand.

Tarence, D. binata does not form seeds on its own. You need to use pollen from another form. Flowering tires the plant so after one time and plenty of photos later, I cut all flower buds.