Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 20th October 2010, 11:54 PM

Default Re: What is the Best weather to sow seed to reduce mold?

Well yes! Actually a local CPer friend of mine does sterilize his seedling mix. I have actually tried it myself and yes as far as I know, those that I pour boiling water on or microwave does seem to be more resistant to molds and algae. Though I think that at the least what it does is kill possible seeds of weeds from the mix, which tended to grow and compete against my CP seedlings. I imagined that even after sterilization of the potting mix, because I keep the seedling pot or container outside at my Garden, I am sure that mold spore and the likes should still find their way onto the soil mix anyway. So I think that air circulation still is a bigger factor, unless you will cover the pot to avoid mold spores getting in.

Jimmy, the suggestion is to not cover the seeds. I don't think they can be blown away easily, if they do get blown off, if it's nepenthes then they are too dry in the first place.

I have another suggestion, which I also do with some of my seedlings. After sowing the seeds, I use some kind of a humidity dome, then once the seeds sprouted, you can start taking off the dome or cover, this will prevent the high humidity/high temperature environment that molds like.

TTFN
Arvin