Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 21st January 2010, 10:48 PM

Default Re: How compact should potting mix be and what should be used.

Richard,

You posted this in the Propagation topic, so I take it that you are asking about potting mix for propagation? Then again it might not be too different between propagation mix and cultivation mix.

My two cents:

I tend to keep the propagating medium very moist so cocopeat or sphagnum moss are usually very moist and thus settles a bit compact. I haven't really tried coco chips for propagation.

As a rule of thumb though I do not really go out of my way to compact my potting mix, after putting them in a pot, I water them until soaking wet and then let them drain, after excess water is drained I am ready to use it. And usually it is compacted enough to hold the cutting in place.

If your question is for cultivation, almost the same thing, when I repot, after I put the usually moist new potting mix, I then tap the pot on the floor a bit, put some more and then water the whole pot till soaking wet, let drain and that is it.

Lastly, if potting for cultivation, please be reminded that some neps like it very loose and airy while others like it a bit more compact. ie. veitchii like loose and airy and well drained, while ampullaria likes them more compact. That is why for veitchii I use coco chips and for ampullaria I use coco peat.

I have stopped using dried sphagnum moss as pure potting mix for nepenthes.

Hope this helps.

TTFN
Arvin