Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Best way to remove dead growth in dormancy.

Hi

Thanks. That is interesting. Some people suggest leaving the green parts of the plants on to enable food and photosynthesis for the plant. I think it would be best to leave the fully green pitchers on the pants though and then MAYBE cut all the pitcher off at once is it has half died. Some people suggest only cutting off the dead half but this is time consuming as it has to be then done again later. Other people suggest to leave the leaves fully die and chop them off at the end of winter. You can see some other feedback I received at http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=49839
Any more feedback from different people’s experiences with this would be appreciated. I am not sure how important the photosynthesizing aspect is during winter as the plants are dormant. It might be possible that less nutrients gained in photosynthesis may be better to give the plants a better dormancy. Also, people suggest putting the plants in the fridge during winter where there would be no light anyway.

What would be interesting to do is an experiment where someone with identical looking plants was to put them into three groups beside each other in the same conditions. One group would have all the leaves that have some dead growth on them cut off completely down near the base so green growth would also be removed on pitchers that have half died so the only pitchers left would be the ones that are fully green. This could be done around now in mid winter and again towards the end of winter to remove the remaining dead pitchers. On the second group only the dead growth would be removed progressively as the pitchers die. This would need to be done a couple more times to the same pitchers and would therefore be time consuming overall. In the third group, the pitchers would be only removed as they fully die down to the base.

Please let us know of anyone that has done any experiments like this and if there was any difference between the three groups regarding which plants grew the best and what percentage died.

Regards Richard.