Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:43 PM

Default How I germinate Byblis liniflora seeds.

Hi Guys,

Recently I got some B.liniflora seeds from picesilim and they are about 3 weeks old. I used 10% bleach method and they germinated well and fast.

I used 10% Tesco brand bleach mix with RO water. Poured the seeds into the mixture and stir slowly. The seeds bleaching process is to remove seeds germination inhibitor which is the blackish (dark purple) coating.

I followed the bleaching process as shown in the video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8asdfEAg9Gg

Once the seeds start to look whitish, I stopped the bleaching process and poured the mixture (seeds + bleach mix) onto a filter paper (folded into a cone shape) to drain off all the liquid. With the seeds trapped on the filter paper,I then rinse the seeds with RO water. The seeds are now ready to be sowed.

Picture below shows how the seeds look like after being bleached and a newly germinated plantlet for size comparision.

The media used is pure sphagnum moss soaked in RO water.The seeds are distributed on top of the moist media using tweezer. The whole pot is not covered and put on water tray. It is given full sunlight, protected from rain through clear plastic shade.

The seeds germinated in just 9 days!

Hope this information is helpful to those who plans to start to grow Byblis from seeds.