Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 29th April 2010, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Some question about satrifiction of seeds?

Allen, thats a lot of questions! But we will answer it with all that we know.....

Q1-I doubt seeds will germinate in the refrigerator, my good friend.

Q2-I have never stratified my seeds before, so I am not sure. However, DO NOT plant nep seeds in pure water or even stratify them. Since they are tropical plants, seeds of neps should be sown as soon as possible without any need of stratification or process (except watering it of course )

Q3-Unless you are using tap water with lots of minerals, extremely low sunlight levels or lots of fertilizer, sphagnum moss doesn't usually get fungus or brown. And when it becomes green, it's not because of algae, it's because it has *sort of revived*, I am not sure. I can guarantee you that green sphagnum moss has no ill effects on CPs and their seedlings.

Q4-Technically, CHARCOAL, is mainly used for nepenthes. Charcoal absorbs chlorine and may have other good effects. It is also used for aerating the soil. However, it is not suitable for most CPs. I only know that nepenthes don't mind charcoal.

Q5-I've never tried this before so maybe other members can enlight you on this. Maybe 1 year?

Q6-Droseras can produce dew as long there is lots of water in the soil and sunlight. But if you want a healthy amount of dew, keep it fairly humid. Otherwise, there's nothing to worry too much about droseras.

Q7-Sphagnum moss is a LIVING moss that grows in bogs. Over time, the moss grows into layers. Around a few feet deep, the moss that has been buried under a mass of GROWING moss starts to decompose and eventually turn into PEAT moss. However, the moss that is buried just beneath the surface of the live sphagnum simply stops growing, but remains undisturbed. This is where LONG FIBERED SPHAGNUM is harvested. There isn't much difference between using both peat moss and sphagnum moss as a media. Sphagnum moss retains LOTS of water, but is more airier than peat moss. However, peat moss has no *gaps* when used in potting compared to sphagnum, therefore, I prefer using peat moss for growing seeds. Also, sphagnum moss is not as common as peat moss when trying to obtain it commercially.

Q8-Lack of humidity stops nepenthes from pitchering, and causes some other problems to other species of CPs. Based on what I learnt in my science this year....., lack of humidity causes the plant to transpire more a.k.a lose more water to it's surrounding. So it's bad to plants that need high humidity. The plants will have to sacrifice in some aspects to prevent too much loss of water.

Q9-Erm....drosera regia, most forked-leafed sundews, tuberous sundews (although they grow like a vine...). Most rosetted sundews grow in compact sizes. I'm not very sure, leave it to the droseras masters in this forum to give you a detailed list of species that grow 10 inches in diameter or more

Good luck in your CPs!

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!