Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 27th October 2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Water quality for plants.

I have a Galaxy filter water system in my house that has a section where it "energises" the water too. It is similar to what you have where a section in the filter breaks up the water molecules to smaller clusters resulting in reduced surface tension, reduced viscosity, increased dissolvability and increased oxygen. I can see small air bubbles in the water every time I collect the water from the filter into a cup. However, this filter has an additional mineral cartridge which I am thinking of removing from the whole equation.

I realised that my fishes seems to love this water and are less prone to desease and sickness. They are also more active as compared to if I use normal tap water with anti chlorine added. I can see the difference in my Beta splendens and the survival rate of their fry when I rared them in the past once.

However, my Droseras do not quite like the galaxy filter water. They do not gow well when I water them with it. When I change to Reverse Osmosis or Distilled Water purchased from an Automatice Vending Machine, they start to grow. I do not know if it is the mineral content from the mineral cartridge in the filter system that is hurting my Drosera or it is the energised water. I tend to lean on the idea that it is the mineral content that is the "bad guy" here.

I also use the Galaxy water on my other house plants, tills, Platycerium and ant plants. There seem to be no bad effects on my tills, house plants and Platycerium so far. Can't say for sure about my ant plants as some of them aren't doing well and prone to pest... but this might be due to other factors. My Tills are growing and happily giving me pups.

As for water trays, I only use plastic water trays or plastic containers. So far so good. Have not tried metal, stainless steel or aluminium trays. I think that whatever trays we use, we must change the water in the tray and clean the tray regularly. If not somehow, mineral and other stuff will accumulate. It is the same as my Drosera trays. I grow them indoors and even with distilled water, if I do not clean the tray every now and then I can see a layer of white powder at the edge of the tray where the water level was after a long while. But if you grow your plants outdoors, it should not be a problem if you allow rain to wash the water away and exchange it with fresh rain water ocassionally.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb