Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Best way to remove dead growth in dormancy.

Hi

Thanks for the interesting info. I am actually allowing my Sarracenias to get dryer now. I have been watching them very closely every day to make sure they do not dry out completely as I thought it could harm them. However, from what you say this may not matter if it occurred for a couple of days. Bear in mind I am in the tropics at on the Atherton Tableland near Cairns at 757 meters altitude. Our temperatures can often get up to 26 degrees during the day. However, the average range is from about 13 to 23 degrees for this time of a year. Do you think that allowing them to dry out completely for 2 or 3 days under my conditions would not harm the plant?

To save time and labor cost associated with pruning my hundreds of Sarracenias I thought it may be best to leave the pitchers fully die before removing them. It would take many extra hours for people to make several cuts on the one leaf as it progressively dies. Is it fine to leave dead growth on the plants during dormancy until the leaf fully dies?

Regards Richard.