Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2010, 12:31 AM

Default N. gracilis Cultivation Guide

Name: N. gracilis
Highland/Lowland: Lowland
Country of Origin: Borneo, Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore, central Sulawesi, Sumatra, and southernmost Thailand
Described by:

Cultivation Guide:
Lighting: 70% to Full sunlight
Potting Medium: Cocopeat, Cocochips and other lowland mix.
Temperature: Tropical Lowland
Humidity: 50% to 90% Lowland conditions
Watering: Once a day
Propagation: Stem Cutting, Seeds.

Despite wikipedia using the phrase "relatively unremarkable" N. gracilis is a great nepenthes, as is prolific in pitchering, you are almost guaranteed to have one small pitcher per leaf. Trying to avoid the word Cute to describe this plant, I then use the word "Dainty"

This species seem to be able to cope well in different conditions, from full sun and hot summers to being soaked from having a water tray under it's pot. It also is prolific in making basals and shoots.

Propagation is relatively easy, because once you get long vines with basals, you tend to not hesitate to cut the main vine or the basal for cutting or rooting.

I have a recent interesting experience about gracilis cutting. I did several 2 to 3 node cuttings of a gracilis vine around August. All but 1 grew a bud and eventually made a basal. But 7 months after, the very dry "Sticks" which I left on the pots started sprouting basals. Just goes to show that when doing cuttings, do not give up easily.. specially on gracilis cuttings.

I hope that those who are more experienced with growing gracilis will also add more details in this guide.