Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default ameliepoulain: Should I let them flower? (Read 103 times)

ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Should I let them flower?
« Thread Started on 1 Jan, 2008, 10:32 »A number of my newly acquired droseras are flowering. I'm wondering if I should let them flower or just to snip them off.

I'm afraid that flowering might exhaust the plant to the extend of killing it, and I might not even get any seed!

Those planning to 'bloom' are:

D. intermedia & D. binata var. multifida from Lim and D. burmanii from David. Oh yes, one of the D. Spatulatha from David is blooming too, but I know I can let that flower!

The B. liniflora from David was already flowering when it arrived + my P. Primuliflora is also flowering! I'm very curious, is it spring already???

Advices please, Oh wise sage of the forum
« Last Edit: 1 Jan, 2008, 10:34 by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
ifurita

Re: Should I let them flower?
« Reply #1 on 1 Jan, 2008, 11:30 »D. intermedia and D. burmanii shouldn't be problems, I let mine flower and see no adverse effects. D. binata does exhaust itself from flowering, so you may not want to let it flower unless it is a very healthy and rubust adult plant. I usually let mine flower and while none have died, some have had their growth set back by a lot after flowering(of course, the very healthy ones can flower 3-4 times in succession without any visible detriment to the plant). Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 1 Jan, 2008, 14:03 »No worry. Let it be. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 2 Jan, 2008, 8:12 »Athene...my binata T form died after flowering...not sure about the multifida as mine are all still ****es. The rest can be left to flower happily....get your magnifying glass ready to spot the seeds when you collect them. *smile* Link to Post - Back to Top Logged