Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 24th August 2009, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Default N. kongkandana and N. mirabilis in southern Thailand

This trip, I went with Mr. Marcello Catalano whom has extensive knowledge in Thailand's nep species to confirm the correct ID. The site that we visited is very near to the first site that I visited last trip. I was surprise to find N. mirabilis growing in a very close proximity to the N. kongkandana where the habitat is usually dry.

Also, with the recent wet weather, the coloration of the pitchers are more vivid compared to the ones I saw during the dry season just almost a months ago.

Please take a look....

Habiatat - 1 - This is one of the example of the typical habitat

N. kongkandana bush -1

N. kongkandana bush -2

N. kongkandana plant -1

N. kongkandana plant -2

N. kongkandana plant -3

N. kongkandana pitcher -1

N. kongkandana pitcher -2

N. kongkandana pitcher -3

N. kongkandana pitcher -4 Very nice intermediate pitcher

N. kongkandana pitcher -5

N. kongkandana pitcher -6

N. kongkandana pitcher -7

I just have to post this even though they're N. mirabilis... . These are a few beauties that I managed to take pictures... they were found growing among N. kongkandana

Sorry that I have to spoil your mood by showing you this pictures.... the lost of habitat is a real threat to the survival of nepenthes. I was "shocked & awed" when I saw the clearing of lands at another site that we visited. I suspected the land will likely be clear and develop but not just a month after my last visit.... The forest just right next to the recently cleared lands have many N. ampullaria, N. mirabilis, N. x kuchingensis and N. gracilis. It's a very sad to see it may disappear right before our eyes in the very near future...

Mr. Marcello "admiring" (for lack of better word) the destruction of prestine wild nep habitat

Last edited by NepNut; 24th August 2009 at 01:45 PM.