Read-Only Forum Archive
View Single Post
Old 26th July 2010, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Venus Fly turns black

Thanks folks! I am really a novice towards these plants.

I read about feeds that are bigger than the traps will cause them to die. However, I do have another theory and not quite sure about it though. It is great to have people sharing views and experience on this.

Well, I have been observing my VFT for the past week and yes, in the end the traps died. (Anyway... the beatles are between 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the traps). Apparently, 1 or 2 old traps without any feeds are experiencing partial blackening. At the same time, 2 premature leafs have doubled in size for the past week!

There are two hypothesis here...

1) Traps died due to improper feeds?
2) Traps died due to exhaustion or redirect of plant's energy?

The first is a well-shared and published view.
The rationale for the second view is from the idea that traps consume huge amount of energy to digest a feed. The plant probably has this dilemma of whether to direct its limited resource of energy to digest the feeds or provide growth to new leaves. If new growth is of more important, divesting energy from old traps might be a justified solution.

This is something that I learned from my other non-carnivorous plant. It is the similar theory that some books on CPs suggests trimming off the flowering stalk of vft to prevent exhaustion of the plant.

Opinion appreaciated