Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Propagation

Nepenthes Propagation Projects, information and discussion on propagating Picther Plants

Old 17th September 2009, 10:57 AM

Default Using honey to strike Nepenthes.

Hi

I have read and heard that some cuttings can be struck by using honey as a root hormone by rubbing a small amount of it on the node where the roots would grow from. See http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf23099231.tip.html
Could this work for Nepenthes?
Alternatively, would they strike well with no root hormone?

It would be good if honey works as it would be a safe root hormone. I heard a long time back that some of the root hormones were very toxic. I am not sure if they are that way now? I did a web search to see if I could find anyone that has tried honey for Nepenthes. However, I was not able to find anyone. If you know of anyone, please let me know.

I noticed in the the private email that you wanted to know a little about me. I have an autobiography linked to my sites below.

I also have many websites with new ideas, including separate free groups, unique inventions with advantages, and rare information with solutions to help people. Please see http://www.advantagein.com/community.htm for a brief summary. I would appreciate your feedback and help. Are you able to swap links or share any letters that I could send you?

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Using honey to strike Nepenthes.

Nepenthes cuttings will root even without any other chemicals or rooting hormones. Of course this is not always 100% so we are always open to experiments and findings that show better results.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 17th September 2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator

All I know is honey has natural anti-fungal property. Would be interesting to find out if it really helps in rooting.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Thanks for this idea Richard.

Maybe some of us can try this out on our Nepenthes and report back in this thread the results. Would be good to know.

Richard, thank you for your interest in excahanging links with PetPitcher. At the moment I would prefer links/articles/letters that are related carnivorous plants or plants in general. However, I am open to ideas... so let me know your ideas and thoughts on this. PM me.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 18th September 2009, 12:10 PM

I applied some honey to peristomes so that the ants will be attracted to it and as a result,all the pitchers with honey dried within a week.
Old 15th June 2015, 08:58 PM

Hello

Have you used or heard of someone that used organic honey instead of root hormone for Nepenthes cuttings and if so, have you found that it either helps or does not do any harm? I heard it is anti fungal and bacterial so if I used it, it would save me having to sterilize the knife or cutter blade.

If I do not use honey, root hormone or any fungicides would I have to sterilize the cutting blade or would just an occasional wash under the tap be all right?

Regards Richard.