View Single Post
Old 29th June 2008, 10:57 PM
Technical Administrator

Default Re: David: Byblis liniflora

tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Byblis liniflora
« Reply #40 on Jul 2, 2007, 1:22pm »
Mine did, so did Ts punya...even mukaketupat`s ( Ezrena ) ......bujangteruna also.....who else did David give seeds to ? Wilson ? Strange yah yg x germinate....

*hmmmm*

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #41 on Jul 2, 2007, 1:49pm »
That's the irony of it! I give out seeds and most of them germinated for the recipients. But none germinated for me. Sad laaa... Tried all kinds of ways but no success. By the way, I post somewhere last week that one of the byblis seed germinated for me. Well it turned out it's a weed and not a byblis plant... Feel like someone just slapped me silly here! « Last Edit: Jul 2, 2007, 1:49pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on Jul 2, 2007, 2:12pm »
Use magnifying glass lah David to identify the seedlings. I do. Coz when they are small, it`s pretty difficult. Mine already has branches....but still small.

The d.intermedia & d.burmanii seeds I got from you also sprouted...Unfortunately I put them in the same pot so I can`t tell the diff yet...got many many lil` ones though. Up to now, still microscopic.

Administrator

« Reply #43 on Jul 2, 2007, 2:17pm »
I had a magnifying glass with me leh. So far only one burmanii seed germinated for me out of the hundreds I sowed. The intermedia, nothing! Another sad case. Another slap on the other side of my cheek.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist jonathan

« Reply #44 on Jul 17, 2007, 3:14pm »

Dear all....

Hi everyone... here i have something to share in germination of Byblis seeds....

I've found a way to germinate Byblis seeds in 3 days.... ( For me that is... )

1) Fresh Byblis seeds ( From David )
2) mix 10% of bleach in 100% of water ( i tough it was 1% bleach - 100% water at first until david says it was not ) soak the seeds in the mixture untill it turns white ( it takes about 6 hour for me )
3) sprinkle the seeds on the media and put on water tray water level reach the top part of media and put it under full sun....
4) check on it after 3 days to see did it germinate.... you sould see some tiny roots...

Ok guys and gals for me in 10 days i have some 3-5mm plantlet....

Take care and good luck everyone...

Best Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

David
Administrator

« Reply #45 on Jul 17, 2007, 3:16pm »
Thanks Jonathan for sharing your experience with us. Really appreciate it. I am waiting for the new seed pods to ripen so I can try this out on the seeds. But I must say to you again that 3 days germination is record breaking. It is an achievement you can be proud of.

Hopefully some seeds will germinate for me with your method. Thanks for the baby plantlets too.

« Reply #46 on Jul 17, 2007, 3:22pm »

Hi David....

You are most welcome my friend...... now is my turn to thank you for all the beautiful plants that you have gave me and those seeds too... i'm very very very sorry david that i have killed the little green amps
that you gave me this sunday...... i have killed my first nep...... dunno why just everything goes wrong nowdays....

lastly thank you david for all the support and encouragement while i'm in trouble and for all those great advice.....

Best Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

David
Administrator

« Reply #47 on Jul 17, 2007, 4:15pm »
What happened to the green ampullaria? How did it died? ... It's ok lah. Don worry about it.

And don't give up growing these wonders of nature just because of these few bumps in your way.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007, 4:18pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist jonathan

« Reply #48 on Jul 17, 2007, 6:09pm »

I also dunno what happen.... thanks for everything david....

I won't give up.... but also don't wanna be a neps killer.... hehe...

cosmoking

« Reply #49 on Jul 17, 2007, 9:23pm »
Ive had no germination either, I just cant seem to germinate any Byblis seed at all
Administrator

« Reply #50 on Jul 17, 2007, 9:52pm »
Don't give up yet cosmo. The mother plant that I have now are from seeds I've bought from an online nursery. It took about 3 months if I remember correctly before it germinated. And that also 3 out of 100 over seeds.

Let us all try the tactic used by Jonathan and report back to this thread on the progress.

« Reply #51 on Jul 18, 2007, 1:10am »

Hi cosmo....

Don't worried... keep trying... one day you will see those wonder in nature to surprise you with lot's of baby Byblis... i can't describe how happy i was that day when i see those beautiful baby Byblis.... i get around 70% germination..... god blessed me with a bunch of baby... hehe....

David the second batch of seeds have been killed by those green thing that grow..... algae ...
hate those disgusting green slime................................... from now on only use good quality mosses...... hehe... but i still have 3 Byblis..... in no time i'll build up a Byblis forest.... dreaming of it..........

Best Regards Jonathan

caseyhoo

« Reply #52 on Aug 9, 2007, 10:14am »
My Byblis liniflora at 13 days, can you see it ?

thanx David for the seeds

« Last Edit: Aug 9, 2007, 10:16am by caseyhoo »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBest Regards,
KC Hoo
Wanted List

They are nice : D. aliciae, D. brevicornis, D. derbyensis, D. falconeri, D. lanata, D. villosa, D. lowriei, D. menziesii
cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on Aug 9, 2007, 2:19pm »
I read through the posts and a few questions popped up.

What media did you all sow your seeds on?

Do you think media made a difference?

How fresh is fresh i.e. did everyone sow about the same time since the seeds came from David?

And how were the seeds stored for some of you who sowed them later? Fridge? Room temperature? A hot place?

Does it matter how the seeds are formed? That is, how David tease the flower.

And do it matter when seeds are being collected? When the capsule splits or before the capsule splits?

I manually pollinate the flowers and get about 40+ seeds per fruit. But out of hundreds of seeds so far only about 15 germinated. Fortunately, this species flower all the time and seeds are easy to collect.

Somehow, there is a trigger for seed germination even for liniflora and even overseas growers are baffled how the same batch of seeds can have very different germination rates with different growers.

I have tried the 10% chlorine and 100% water method but the germination rate is still low. But that is only with one batch of seeds.

There was one seed that germinated in my Nep pot and as far as I can remember, I didn't even sow it there. It must have fallen in from the pot of Byblis several months before. So nowadays, I kind of recycle my Byblis pots 'cos there might be seeds that will germinate somewhere down the line.

Administrator

« Reply #54 on Aug 9, 2007, 6:57pm »
I sow my seeds in various media just to test out. ie. choped up sphagnum moss, peat moss, peat moss + perlite. So far not enough germination to text out which media is best.

By the way, tried Jonathan's method with bleach. It germintaed it a week for me. 7 plantlets out of about 20 seeds. Before this, zero germination for me.

Nope, don think so everyone sow their seeds the same time. Most probably a few days to a week difference.

I store the seeds in the fridge before sending it out.

I manually take two flowers and rub their anthlers together. There's about 40 -50 seeds in each pod.

I usually collect the seeds on the day the seed pod crack open.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on Aug 9, 2007, 10:41pm »
here`s mine.....it`s very very old ( 3 months, heheh ) but small coz i did not give it enuff sun...so at nearly 3 inches high how, it`s already flowering....stunted byblis.

« Last Edit: Aug 9, 2007, 10:50pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on Aug 10, 2007, 12:23am »
Thanks, David for replying to some of my questions. I have given away all my seeds but I will try Jonathan's method again the next time.

By the way, did you try it on freshly collected seeds or the ones stored in the fridge? And how long approximately were they stored there?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged jonathan

« Reply #57 on Aug 10, 2007, 12:58am »

Dear everyone...

I found the bleach method also works with other drosera's seeds... i get 20 germination out of 20 D. Intermedia seeds in a week... the rest that i sow just like that withour the bleach treatment actually have 2 germination in 3 weeks.... i would say that this method will give you a higher germination rate but for me so far from D.Intermedia i get 100% of germination...

Take good care everyone and happy planting...

Best Regards Jonathan

David
Administrator

« Reply #58 on Aug 10, 2007, 9:09am »

Quote:By the way, did you try it on freshly collected seeds or the ones stored in the fridge? And how long approximately were they stored there?

With the bleach, I've only tried with freshly collected seeds. Before I started to use bleach, I tried all kinds of ways, Kept them in the firdge for a week, 2 weeks and 1 month. Also tried startification on them. Tried sowing them immediately after I collected them form the seed pod, tried leaving them in the open seed pod for a week before harvesting them and sowing them, etc, etc... headache... none work.

Only those seeds I send out to forum members germinated. Without bleach, some of the seeds germinated for some people. So this means for byblis to germinate we need to send it via snail mail... haa, haa, just kidding.

Don know laa, maybe after removing them from the fridge, we should keep it outside for a few days before sowing them as that is about the time the post office takes to deliver to forum members. Seem to have some germination.

I've ran out of ideas, but using bleach seems to be more reliable.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist caseyhoo

« Reply #59 on Aug 10, 2007, 9:47am »
This is my 1st time germinate CP, can I share my method?

In my case, I straight away sow them to blended S. moss.

So far (days 14), 1 or 5 seed germinated.

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2007, 9:48am by caseyhoo »