Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 1st August 2008, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Something Wrong with my Venus?

always in the sun i kept it in the sun the whole day... didnt turn red enuff i mist it time to time so it wont get too hot..
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:38 AM
Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzx002 View Post
oh lots of thx for replying to my question i'm posting my plant.. is it ok? as in healthy?.i'm trying my best to provide it all it needs.. i'm curious.. wads the long gass lookin strands .. on the left hand side of the picture.. are they normal to be growing together with my cp?

your reply will be most grateful
the long grass looking stands are probably weeds. its okay and normal, its up to you whether if you want to remove the weed or not.

if its out under full sun already, then it should be okay. i think you can skip the misting, vfts can take pretty high temps.

Last edited by hongrui; 2nd August 2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typos =p
Old 2nd August 2008, 03:54 PM

Talking Re: Something Wrong with my Venus?

Your VFT looks heathly

Quite strong too. Make sure you give enough sunlight as possible.

Oh yah, try to pull out the long growing grass-like plants.

Believe me, it root will grow deep and might hurt your VFT.
But those are interesting to grow, once you pull out, pot it and see what will happen next. *every plants must give a chance to live.*
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:54 PM

yup done that i potted the two weeds in a small glass cup so i shall observe see what will it become in due time

well at least now i know my plant is healthy.. but will mine turn red ? its been weeks and somehow my vft still looks pretty green to me :0
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:40 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi blitzx002, your VFT doesn't looked getting enough sunlight to me, the new traps are getting smaller! Yours probably a green form, so it won't gain any red colouration no matter how intense the lighting is.
Where did you place your pot? I agreed with Hongrui that VFTs don't neccessary need high humidity to thrive, as long as the media is still wet, it will be fine with the hot sun in our climate.
I grow my VFTs quite dry (without water tray), only water when the top media is dry. But I grew them in peat - perlite. Those who grow them in sphagnum moss don't practise this as sphagnum moss can dry out quite fast.
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:10 AM

hmm i place it on the window sil(if thats wad u call in :P) the space thats just outside your window in HDB flats :P... tied to my window so wont drop :D hehe.. when i bought this VFT its already potted with the s.moss and i'm not too sure whats the other layers tho.. i used a water tray as i worry it might get too hot and dry in the noon sun.

well i've stopped misting it and i'm not too sure y the traps are small i guess new grown ones takes a while to grow bigger?

prolly will post some pics taken in the morning.

hmm by the way,sorry if i posted this wrongly,i know wrong section but just asking, anyone knows if we are able to get cobra lily in singapore? and is it easy to survive in our climate?
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:15 AM

I'm not too experienced with cobra lilies but I think they prefer cooler conditions than other temperate Cps do. In your conditions, It probably wouldn't do as well. If you're able to get a cobra lily, you could grow it in a terrarium under grow lights for better results. The soil mixture should drain well; gravel, LFS, and live sphagnum are good mediums.

I've also heard that some people put ice cubes on the surface of the soil to keep their cobra lilies cool on hot days. It might help to try that.

Good luck

Last edited by Marigoldsfail21; 3rd August 2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:05 PM

Hmm thx for the info Marigold, but seems like i've asked World Farm and they dun seem to know what is cobra lily.. lol.. but i guess i'm gonna try sourcing overseas..but then again imported plants i have neva dealt with.. not sure if there are reliable sources..

Here are few pics of my VFT in the evening.. i noticed that some of my CP's trams have joined little teeths.. just like the deformed breed of VFT. but only occured in few of the teeths not all... is mine a hybrid? and from what i remembered when i first bought it, it has 2-3 light red coloured traps but now the new grown ones are all green... very green infact...

I placed my VFT at the window sil.. throught out the day will have sunlight very bright sunlight...and sometimes even the S.moss will dry out so i gota like water it sometimes to keep it damp... i am not sure if i am doing the right thing.i water it whenever i touch the top layer of the moss when it feels dry.

should i try placing it under florecent lights to try and see if it will turn dark red? i am pretty confused because i read it on one of the articles, it said that if the VFT is in dark red colour it will grow slower due to less chlorophyll for photosynthesis.. so should i get it to red or let it be green?
Old 5th August 2008, 12:03 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi, I see your plant is getting bright sunlight throughout the day, do you mean it received direct sunlight all day or few hours of direct sun and the rest of the day just bright? That make big difference in VFTs appearance, as VFTs like plenty of direct sunlight.
Sunlight is the best to grow VFT, if sunlight doesn't make it red, I doubt the grow light will. But I heard big difference in day and night temperature will make the traps or plants to go redder provided the plant is not a green form.
Cobra lily is hard to grow here, I have tried growing under sun, they refused to get bigger and eventually died. I am now trying another attempt with different conditions, I really hope to find a way to grow this lovely plant in the tropic, a simplest way to grow them, without any expensive equipment. I know that's hard, I know I'm dreaming, but..... just let me try it out.
Old 5th August 2008, 10:42 AM

well i'm not too sure if the sunlight is direct from my opinion..well i'm in camp all day long till evening.. but from what i do know is that during the morning around 8-10 its pretty bright sunlight, not sure if its direct.. and in the noon esp ard 1130- 3+4Pm its pretty hot.. bright sunlight too.. so i'm thinkin of tryin to place it under grow light to see if it will do any diff.. i'm living on the 3rd floor of a HDB.. so i'm not too sure if the light will be direct or not.. but i am sure its very bright and hot and i am tempted to place my plant outside at the corridoor but.. theft happens ard my place especially if you have 'special' things outside.. once my neighbours pet mice was stolen together with the cage when its place just outside their doorstep hence i dun want my plant to be stolen...

I guess i'm goin to find another location that has more sunlight... perhaps bringing it to my camp lol but doubt possible... hehe... i'll keep you guys informed of the condition.cos in when i bought my plant i did notice 2-3 traps with reddish colour.

Hmm i cant seem to find cobra lily sellers locally so i cant try growing it
But i'm now trying to see if i can get some VFT seeds, try germinating my own seedlings and if i can manage to grow em well to maturity, i might try growing Cobra lily... cos from what i read, all cps are pretty vunlerable during seedling period..

One question, any one of you have tried using the fertilizer/growth hormone Gibberellic acid? cos i came about a site that was talking about it and they tried using that to grow larger traps than the B52..

hehe Hopefully you will find a way to make your dream come true TS,and finally get your Cobra lily growing under controlled conditions Do update me on the growth of your cobra lily.