Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 6th May 2009, 12:10 PM

Default what's happening to my pilosa??

looks like it is my turn to ask for advice, as i have never seen this before. i like N pilosa or chaniana very much, nice looking pitchers and hairy stems. although they are highlanders, lots of people manage to cultivate them at lowland conditions, but i do find them very vulnerable. they seem susceptible to changes in environment and rot easily.

this plant that i have has been growing well but the sun recently shifted and it receive very bright 12-2 o'clock sun, and the leaves look a bit yellow. so i put it somewhere more shady and after a couple of days of really gloomy weather and lots of rain, the plant suddenly look like this.

the lower leaves turned all black very quickly and the upper leaves seem to be going the same way. however the tip is still nice and green. the moss is very soggy but i dont dare to change the moss to avoid upsetting the roots. instead, i put it somewhere cool and shady and stopped watering them. the growth tip is still ok.

it will take a long time to recover, i think. what do you guys think? what happened? i never seen this occuring in such a short span of time. too much water, root rot? or too much sun?
Old 6th May 2009, 12:12 PM

Default Re: what's happening to my pilosa??

ignore the small N sanguinea at the corner, it is totally unperturbed by what is happening to its big brother.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

I've not grown pilosa/chanania before and I am no expert in highlanders, but from the picture, it looks like the media is too soggy and does not look healthy. Perhaps a change of media. Also the plant does look like it does not have enough sunlight.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 6th May 2009, 12:56 PM

agreed, media too soggy. will try to change without disturbing the roots. but it was only in shage for about 4 days, then it started turning black all of the sudden. and the leaves turn black at the sides whereas the spine of the leaves stay green. weird.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Maybe it's root problem. We need help from other experts here.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 6th May 2009, 01:45 PM
Advisor

soonsuseong,

The two species, pilosa and chaniana are different. Try and see if you can get a positive ID so that you can grow your plant better.