Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Sarracenia

Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Old 30th June 2008, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Default kltower: How tall can Sarracenia grow?

kltower
Pioneer Member

How tall can Sarracenia grow?
« Thread Started on Oct 20, 2007, 10:42pm »
Dear All,

I am quite ignorant on Sarracenia. Just how tall can it grow. I am quite amazed that it can grow close to 5 ft.

http://www.piantecarnivore.org/foto_...ec1/spec_6.jpg

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged lisham

Re: How tall can Sarracenia grow?
« Reply #1 on Oct 20, 2007, 11:32pm »
That's tall... Seriously tall... That's a flava right? It looks like too fragile to stand on its' own tho... « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2007, 11:35pm by lisham »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #2 on Oct 21, 2007, 12:21am »
Lisham,

I believe it is S. flava v. maxima. Incredible isn't it!

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged sunbelle

« Reply #3 on Dec 5, 2007, 4:07am »
Hi Guys,
Yes, flava can get quite large. I have seen some in habitat that are just past 4 feet tall, with a mouth about 4 inches (11 cm) across. They can grow so thick you cannot walk through the bog without damaging pitchers (Do not worry, We will not trample on them)

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #4 on Dec 5, 2007, 8:52am »
Wow! That's huge. Do you have a picture? Would be a great eye candy. Haa, haa, then some members here will also have to change their keyboard because they drool on it. (talking more about myself) « Last Edit: Dec 5, 2007, 8:53am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Dec 5, 2007, 6:20pm »
here is the pic David :

This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged sweethalo

« Reply #6 on Dec 5, 2007, 7:01pm »
*fainted* does it need any support to get so tall?? wow!!

« Reply #7 on Dec 5, 2007, 10:16pm »
Here is where you can see some pics to give you an idea. We are in serious need of updating the website, but have experienced computer problems. Anyway, the flava in these pics are all in the four foot tall range, and the pics had to be taken standing on the highest vantage points possible to get any degree of perspective. These were all flava rugelii, with the occasional rubracorpora in the midst. Not visible, but hugging the ground here are carpets of psittacina and the occasional Ping. planifolia.
Sorry it is a cut and paste link:
http://www.sunbelleexotics.com/Sunbe...ld_S.flava.htm

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on Dec 5, 2007, 11:10pm »

Photo Credit : www.sunbelleexotics.com

WOW!

They look like an army of royal guards, protecting the entrance to the enchanted forest!

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007, 9:44pm by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on Dec 6, 2007, 3:25pm »
hi sunbelle

would you happen to have any photos of psittacina growing in the wild ? i tried searching the sunbelle website but couldn`t find any. those are my fav coz they don`t seem to be dormant-prone unlike the other sarra varieties which we get in M`sia.

« Reply #10 on Dec 7, 2007, 4:09am »
I'll check, but in May we will go back with our digital camera and go crazy taking pictures of Sarracenia in habitat, and will make a special effort to get good shots of psitts.
Tarence, what should also do well for you is S. rubra Gulfensis. These are the forms found growing almost exclusively in Florida. Ours take a very short dormancy during winter, and we think they could go year round without needing a rest. A rest could almost certainly be induced by holding back water for 6 to 8 weeks during your "winter" months. Don't want to get off topic here, but next time this subject comes up-I have some ideas for tropical growers.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on Dec 7, 2007, 12:23pm »
thx Sunbelle.....it would be lovely if you could share your ideas for tropical growers.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #12 on Dec 13, 2007, 2:04pm »
Just saw this. Thanks for the picture. That is really tallllllllll... And it still stands vertically. Cool Sunbelle. If the pitchers were much wider it would be able to swallow your daughter (is that your daughter?). It's almost double in height compareed to the child. Then you'll have to block access for your child to the sarra.

Amanzing. It's in quite a small pot but still able to grow so tall.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007, 2:05pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

« Reply #13 on Dec 14, 2007, 1:51pm »
Somebody just tip me on my coments above. My apologies Sunbelle if it came out wrongly. No harm intended.

I was just so amazed by the height of the sarra and I realised the sarra is almost double in height compared to your daughter. Then this picture of a giant sarra just flash into my mind. Perhaps I should not say things like "if the sarra is wider it would be able to swallow you kid."

I forget manners and social graces when I'm distracted by CPs. It's not good, not good... my apologies.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007, 2:19pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on Dec 14, 2007, 9:41pm »
oppss... I just realize that the picture from Sunbelle that I posted didn't come out.

I'll try to fix it!

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on Dec 14, 2007, 9:42pm »
ahah! fixed the little problem.

sunbelle, I hope you don't mind me posting the photo here...
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007, 9:44pm by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #16 on Dec 31, 2007, 2:33pm »
I measured my S. flava/hybrid today. The tallest pitcher was taped at 22 in.

This image is reduced by 6%, click it to view full size.

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged
Old 13th August 2008, 11:57 PM

Default Re: kltower: How tall can Sarracenia grow?

I have a tallish S. Leucophylla now, and would like to check what to do or what is wrong if the Pitchers do not stand on it's own? Too little sunlight? etc. The photo of Sunbelle with the 4 foot pitchers showed that they can grow tall without falling over. So I wonder if it might be because of winds in my area, nutrition or lighting that is not allowing my Sarracenias to stand on their own.

As of now I use a stick and a loop of wire tie similar to the photo posted by Choong at the bottom of this page to keep the pitchers bunched together and to support them.

Other than leaning to one side, the pitchers seems to be green and healthy and new growth are obvious.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 14th August 2008, 01:05 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Arvin, I think the main reason why our S.flava toppled is because of the wind and rain. When the pitcher toppled once (by rain or by wind) especially when the pitcher is still young, the "bruise" will be permenant, it'll never stand by it's own again, probably will need some support by then. But I found that when the pitcher gets older, the pitcher wall gets thicker and tougher, normal wind will have no effect on it, unless strong wind or heavy downpour.
Old 14th August 2008, 01:33 PM

Thanks TS, I guess I should try taking them of the hoop/support from time to time and see if they can stand on their own. I just measured my S. Leucophylla and it's about 2 feet long, I think it can stand on it's own if there is no wind. Will try and then take a photo of it to show you guys. They are in a 3 inch high pot, around 3 inch wide, not sure if time to repot, but they seem to like their current environment (aside from leaning). I can also try to lower them more so that the wall of the veranda will protect them from wind.

This is CP topic in general, but though we always see people saying something like put them under 2 inches of water, they really don't have a standard on how tall or big the pot is. If the pot is say 5 inches high, 2 inch will mean 3 inch of not soaked medium. While my 3 inch pots basically only have 1 inch or maybe even 1/2 of inch which is not soaking. Still the Sarras love it. I will post a question about soaking D. Capensis though (in the right topic/forum), I have a feeling they don't like to have their feet wet too much.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 15th August 2008, 12:40 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

I personally prefer the water in the tray to totally dry out before I water again, I think by this way, firstly, promote aeration in the soil, secondly, solve mosquito larva problems. Thirdly, most important one...
Sarracenia or VFT roots may be happy being soaked in water during the growing season but one thing we must be very careful, in our climate, these plants may go dormant anytime throughout the year, we won't know it some times until we realized it, it may be too late, the roots rotted because they are supposed to be dryer during dormancy. Don't let your happy growing plant distracted your attention on this matter.
Old 15th August 2008, 05:32 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Arvin, your pitchers will self support if they have too. i.e. if you remove the hoops you may find that your oldr pitchers will fall over as they are not used to supporting themselves. You will find however that the new pitchers will support themselves if they develop without the support.

TS, You make a good point about the Sarra being drier during dormancy. It is obviously more difficult for tropical growers who don't have the defined seasons. While in active growth though Sarra's do require very wet soil. Species such as purpurea and psittacina are often submerged for periods during their growth period and minor can grow on sphagnum floating on a swamp. Often pitchers are smaller and weaker if insufficient water is given.