Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Dionaea muscipula

Dionaea muscipula Everything about Venus's Flytrap

Old 3rd November 2008, 12:38 AM

Default VFT Cultivars Seeds

I would like to ask this question so that we have this topic as reference in the future, because I just saw a post from someone saying that he has some seeds of some VFT cultivars.

May I ask for confirmation if seeds from VFT cultivar seeds will actually give seedlings that have the same characteristics of the Cultivar? Example Akai ryu seeds will give Akai ryu seedlings?

Coz I read somewhere that for VFTs, seeds will 100% of the time give Common VFT seedlings only.

Please confirm which is true.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:47 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: VFT Cultivars Seeds

Hi Arvin...

As far as i know DM seeds don't carry the same genetic integrity...
for example a "Akai Ryu" seeding may produce red coloration but they may not assemble the parent plants because they don't carry the same gene from the parent plants...

Most of the cultivar you see in the market now are all from vegetative propagation to preserve the genetic integrity... which carry the same gene as the original plant and they grow the same way and looks the same...

I have limited knowledge in this... hope some expeart would explain more clearly...

Regards
Jonathan
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:06 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Yes, VFT seeds don't 100% pass on the trait from the mother plant, a red dragon's seed will probably come out to be a red plant that don't resemble the mother plant. As for other forms that the charactor is not too distinctive, you'll probably endup with typicals. The only way of getting the same plant is through leaf cutting, division or tissue culture.
Old 3rd November 2008, 05:11 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

It is true that VFT cultivars do not breed true. Certain traits can breed through namely colouration and size. I have grown several plants from seeds produce through crossing cultivars and while the seedling usually are different from the cultivar, a few will be quite close to the form of the orginal.
One exception, in my option, is Royal Red. There is evidence this actually a variety which came from a wild population. My limited experenice with seedling of Royal Red it does breed true.
Old 3rd November 2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks guys!

Hey I'm in luck then, coz I have a few Royal reds in my collection, if they decide to flower for me, then I will surely try to cross pollenate them, though I am almost sure that the plants that I have are probably clones of each other (or come from the same clone, not sure what is the correct term for them).

I then also am happy that I picked royal red instead of Akai Ryu, though it is still part of my wish lish if oppurtunity to get one arises.

Thanks again everyone!
TTFN
Arvin
Old 4th November 2008, 06:28 PM

Best you can do is pollinate them ASAP so that you can get a lot of seeds. Well, 20% of the seeds usually have the resemblance of their mother plant but there is very, VERY slim chance that the seedling will be the exact duplicate of the mother plant. Except royal red.

I lost my first VFT today, completely dead after root rot. Sigh, perhaps I can get an akai ryu from fauzi. Sorry, totally off topic

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!