Tiger x raff ‘Alata’

Tiger x raff ‘Alata’

Viking from Xir seed;

Coccinea x amp spotted from Xir seed;

N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana

N. veitchii x fusca;

N. hookeriana bunch;

N. hookeriana

A company in Bangkok is selling pummice stone in various sizes. I've been using the 1/2"-1" size but made a mistake in ordering the last time and got 180 kilos of "00" size instead. I find that it works as well as perlite and at a fraction of the cost! 18 kilo bags are 350 B. if you order 10 bag minimum.
The web site is;
http://www.srilava.com/

Here's a couple pictures of the "00" size;

Sri lava pumice– size “00”;

Sri lava pumice– size “00”;

:D
Old 13th January 2009, 02:01 AM

Default Re: shots from the shade house

Shawn, you are KILLING me here!

Now where did my left eye popped out to? And I may have to get new keyboard cos' my drool zapped my old one
Old 13th January 2009, 02:07 AM

Hey, I just noticed the pumice, fact is I got some from a nursery here in Penang. The nursery owner highly recommended it to me, saying it's way better than perlite, and that the people in Holland stopped using perlite sometime back and they are all using this. He charged me quite a lot though, he scooped what was about 250gm worth into a plastic bag & charged me RM10! Bear in mind it's not as light as perlite!

If I'm not mistaken, I've posted a photo of this asking if anyone knows what it is, but no one seems to know. Now I know it's pumice! Have to start using it.

Shawn, how do you use it? Are those white stuff mixed with the coco cubes in the seedling pots pumice or perlite?

And is it easy to get agricultural grade perlite in Thailand? What I see here in Penang are almost always the contruction grade!

Last edited by Amelie.Poulain; 13th January 2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 13th January 2009, 08:28 AM

Thats quite a collection you have going there. How long have you been collecting? Do you have any highlanders?
Old 13th January 2009, 08:56 AM

Hi

WOW SO MANY...................Its a heaven in there......Alcran burbidg x edward is a highlander whether he's growing it in HL conditions i don't know.

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 13th January 2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Advisor

Hi Athena, Glad you liked 'em, I haven't had time to upload many shots to Photobucket so those are just the 'overall' shots. Don't know why but Firefox freezes every time I try to 'bulk upload' so I have to do them one at a time

R: Pumice; I'm paying 1.90 RM a kilo! Plus the shipping was 70 RM for 10 big bags at 18 kilos each. The seedling shots showed Perlite in the mix as those were potted up some time back. The first Tiger x Raff 'alata' shot shows one of the larger pumice stones on top of the mix. I've been putting a layer about an inch thick of the 1/2"-1" stones in the bottom of each pot and then mixing the coco cubes and pumice and repotting. With this new "00" size I'm mixing it thoroughly with the cubes and the plants seem to be loving it. Somewhere I have a photo of their smaller 1 kilo bags upon which they have printed the chemical breakdown of the composition of the pumice...I'll try to find it and post later. (I THINK it is also somewhere on their website). The Ag-grade Perlite is available from a shop in Bangkok but I pay something like 190 RM a bag (Granted, it's a bigger bag, but not that much bigger)! PM me your e-address and I'll send you some other pix without having to upload to photobucket.

Alcran - I've not been into Neps all that long, I just go a bit nuts when I find something I like to propagate! (watch for a future thread on Drosera!) And I obviously enjoy propagating Neps! Probably around about 2 years now. I really don't have much in the way of Highlanders as I'm about 500 meters from the beach on a hot, sunny island about 30 M. above sea level. I have a few "HL"/"Iintermediates" that I've started from seed and am trying to see if I can get the strongest growing ones to maturity and cross them again. I've also started trying out a few hybrids using HL's (like the N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana) to see if they can handle the heat, so far so good!
Old 13th January 2009, 09:23 AM

Hey you've been into neps almost the sam time as me :D But well your collection is a 100X more than me hahahahahahaha.Your veitchii x fusca looks very young.....Mine still doesn't show reddish colour on the peristrome instead it shows yellow(not dying)

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 21st January 2009, 10:21 AM
Advisor
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie.Poulain View Post
Shawn, you are KILLING me here!

Now where did my left eye popped out to? And I may have to get new keyboard cos' my drool zapped my old one
Have to agree, Shawn you need put a warning out viewing this thread will cause drooling.