Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Propagation

Nepenthes Propagation Projects, information and discussion on propagating Picther Plants

Old 11th May 2009, 12:05 AM

Default Nepenthes Tissue Culture

I wonder if we can make a subforum for "nepenthes propagation" though it is not such too much a hot topic recently, maybe it might help sort out some of the topics.

Going to my main question... I am wondering, I read somewhere that IBA is a rooting hormone or chemical. IBA is used in Tissue culture.

I think I may have it from my TC kit that I was able to purhase from Kitchen culture kit.

My question is....

I wonder if I can use IBA on Stem Cuttings to help promote rooting of cuttings of Nepenthes?

Or will it be detrimental in terms of maybe promoting fungal or microbial growth on the stem cuttings, maybe even killing the cutting instead?

I really want to try out water rooting some of my Neps, which reminds me I will post a request for update on Shawn

TTFN
Arvin
Old 11th May 2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Nepenthes Tissue Culture

Ok Arvin. Here's your Nepenthes Propagation board.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 11th May 2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks! David!

Now I hope someone will share their experties about TC and maybe reply to my questions about IBA

Hehehe, I just thought of something, to the Admin, maybe we can actually transfer some of the propagation posts here as well already, for instance Shawn's water rooting. That is if there is extra time only

TTFN
Arvin
Old 15th June 2009, 11:05 PM

I had a nice email chat with an experienced TC guy, he said that he uses seeds from newly opened seed pods to make sure there is minimum contamination. He mentioned that using cuttings from adult plants usualy end up with contamination. One possible idea is to surgically cut a growth tip (forgot the scientific term for it) with a microscope in sterile environment, but no one has reported any sucess in these.

I am wondering about the system in which one seed can turn up hundreds of clones... does that mean that once the seed germinates the plant is then chopped up and then TCed while still in sterile environment? I wonder if at that stage (plantlet stage) all the parts cut from it will grow a new plantlets?

TTFN
Arvin
Old 16th June 2009, 09:10 AM
Global Moderator

First, to clarify something. Do you wish to discuss the process of germinating seeds on a sterile medium like agar, or tissue culture, where a small piece of tissue from the apical meristem is repeatedly grown and chopped up to obtain hundreds of plants that are genetically identical..? These 2 processes are similar, but not the same.

In the first process (germinating seed), all that we are doing is using a sterile medium instead of a natural one like moss, to ensure higher rate of germination. This is a common practice for some plants with very very tiny seeds that are usually symbiotic with a fungus (like orchids), as the agar medium can be tailored to the plant's needs.

Tissue culture means replicating the mother plant and producing hundreds of copies that are essentially the same (genetically). The apical meristem (the tissue which gives rise to new leaves) or even the root meristem tissue can be used. It is cut and placed into a flask of agar containing hormones and placed on a shaker. The blob of tissue then forms a callus, which looks like a small piece of moss. This anti-gravity environment promotes growth of the callus, but shoots and roots do not develop. This is chopped up again and reflasked. Then when there is enough tissue to produce the number of plants needed, the shaker is stopped. The effect of gravity causes leaves and roots to emerge and the clones can be grown on to adult size.
Old 16th June 2009, 09:14 AM
Global Moderator

IBA (indole butyric acid) is an auxin (hoemone) that promotes cell elongation. Its close cousin, indole acetic acid (IAA) is found naturally in plants and controls development of the new shoot in response to light. Auxins also promote adventitious root growth and are used as rooting hormones. There should be no problem using these to encourage new roots on cuttings. But you must use the correct strength. Too little is not effective and too much is detrimental.

BTW, IBA is not the same hormone used in tissue culture. Tisssue culture mainly uses cytokinins to pomote cell division, so that a large quantity of callus can be obtained.