Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 25th December 2008, 07:27 PM
Pioneer

Default T5 Lights

Not many people use T5 lights in Malaysia because they are expensive and the replacement light tubes are hard to come by. You generally find them in the bigger aquarium shops. The aquaria hobbists pay big money to grow marine fishes and plants.

I paid about RM350 for a set of 4 lights 3 ft (actually slightly shorter) with reflector and all. China made.

Recently, I bought 2 replacement light tubes and they cost me RM28 each. In the shop I enquired that better Taiwan brands are selling RM400+.

At such prices I am sure are putting alot of people off.

Then to my surprise at a small electrical shop in Kuala Lumpur (Jalan H S Lee, opposite the Indian temple) I found they are selling T5 lights.

The 3 ft set up (light and fitting, NO reflector) is going for only RM21. They can be daisy chain. I think they are are used for light boxes. At this price, they are just slightly more expensive then your regular fluroscent lights.

In fact they are cheaper than the electronic start up fluroscent lights (ie without starter).

The 2ft set-up is selling for RM18.

So guys what are you waiting for.

Choong
Old 25th December 2008, 08:49 PM

Default Re: T5 Lights

OMG thats sure is cheap! Whats T5 lights?

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 25th December 2008, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltower View Post
Not many people use T5 lights in Malaysia because they are expensive and the replacement light tubes are hard to come by. You generally find them in the bigger aquarium shops. The aquaria hobbists pay big money to grow marine fishes and plants.

I paid about RM350 for a set of 4 lights 3 ft (actually slightly shorter) with reflector and all. China made.

Recently, I bought 2 replacement light tubes and they cost me RM28 each. In the shop I enquired that better Taiwan brands are selling RM400+.

At such prices I am sure are putting alot of people off.

Then to my surprise at a small electrical shop in Kuala Lumpur (Jalan H S Lee, opposite the Indian temple) I found they are selling T5 lights.

The 3 ft set up (light and fitting, NO reflector) is going for only RM21. They can be daisy chain. I think they are are used for light boxes. At this price, they are just slightly more expensive then your regular fluroscent lights.

In fact they are cheaper than the electronic start up fluroscent lights (ie without starter).

The 2ft set-up is selling for RM18.

So guys what are you waiting for.

Choong
May I know how long is those tube and what is the wattage? It is T5HO? What is those light color? K ? Thanx...

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 26th December 2008, 01:10 PM

Hi all,

I am also a marine fish & coral keeper for many years, I recently changed my metal halide to T5 to have better colouration & save energy.

I notice not all T5 are real "T5" , those RM18 for 2 feet is definately does not work like a real T5, they are just energy saver lamp & the K reading is rather lower than what you expected, try get some philips tornado series energy saver with 6500k , this is much easier & lower maintenance, save energy too.

I am using 4 pieces of blue T5 brand "Katana" from japan selling around RM50 for 4 feet, it is 54w & u need a electronic ballast for this costing u around rm70-90. Each ballast can power up 2 lamps.

Last edited by cbkhoon; 26th December 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: adding words
Old 26th December 2008, 07:26 PM
Advisor

Phillips 3ft T5 normal tubes cost SGD$5-$6 each.

Osram 3ft T5 HO tubes cost SGD$8.50-$9 each.

Intensity diminishes and each tube needs to be replaced every 6 months.

Reflectors come in several types. The individual parabolic ones are the best. Light intensity (measured in lux) is about 1.5 of the original when used.