Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 20th March 2010, 04:51 PM

Default White scale or Mealy Bugs?

Hi

I tried Confidor which is a nicotine based insecticide explained at http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/c...ail.asp?id=148 . However, the white scale, mealy bugs or whatever the pests are, are now worse and the plant is not healthy. We sprayed Confidor on the leaves. However, I am not sure if repeated sprayings are needed or if it needs to be watered in. Alternatively, I could try something else. I heard that mentholated spirits can work if it is wiped on the leaves. Could that work well for Nepenthes? The pest is covering most of the surfaces of most of the leaves.

I am not sure if it would be worth cutting all the green foliage off the plant and trying to strike it as cuttings. Would that be an idea?

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.
Old 20th March 2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Advisor

Default Re: White scale or Mealy Bugs?

Hmmm. We just had a very similar post a month or so ago. I wrote out what I found out about treatments there. PM me if you are not able to find the post and I will try to re-write it. Generally, some type of systemic poison that enters the plants system and is transmitted to anything that bites or sucks on the plant (anywhere) is the best bet. (I used granular "Furadan"). The chemicals are nasty...but oh so effective! Really take the warnings seriously though (wear gloves). I tried months of hand removal, 'painting' w/alcohol, squashing but never got ahead of them. Also make sure to avoid 'anything' with a petroleum base!!! Good luck!
~Shawn

PS It has been 4 weeks since treatment and my plants now look spectacular compared to their dismal 'almost dead" state last month!
Old 20th March 2010, 09:29 PM

Hello

Thanks for the info.
I prefer a safe pesticide.
I had a read of the thread on the link I was referred to at http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=120980 after someone suggested that I had Asian Cycad Scale or Aulacaspis yasumatsui. It looks like the pest that I have from what I can see through a magnifying glass. One person on the thread suggests regular alcohol wipes and drenching the roots with insecticide. Perhaps it is best to dilute some Confidor in water and soak the plant in it for a few hours. That would save insecticide as I only have a spray container full and it is a large plant. I assume mentholated spirits would be as affective as pure alcohol and not harm the plant. I value your suggestions such as on how much I should dilute Confider.

Your help will be appreciated,
Regards Richard.
Old 20th March 2010, 11:14 PM
Senior Advisor

I've never used Confider so am afraid I can't be of much help there! Maybe others here have experiences to share.
Old 21st March 2010, 03:32 PM

Hello

I cam across a page at http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/asian_cycad_scale/solution.shtml that offered solutions and some pesticides that can be used. Do you suggest any in particular that would be good? I read oil based pesticides can harm Nepenthes. However, some others are listed. I want something that is safe for humans. That is why I would like to try alcohol and then a high pressure hose. However, I would be happy to use another low toxicity pesticide. Any suggestions would be welcome.

There are other links at https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=asian+cycad+scale+treatment&met a=&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=%22Asian+Cycad+Scale%22&gs_ rfai=&fp=e369d6b66d1d7a7d

Regards Richard.
Old 27th March 2010, 08:09 PM

Hello

I noticed the pest on a few of my plants. It may be generally present in my area so destroying the plants may not solve the problem as the pest may only return. Do you know of any specific pesticides that are safe to use? A systemic one would be good but are there any that have a low toxicity to humans? My concern is that they could accidentally spill or get on your skin or be inhaled. What do you think of the solutions at
http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/asian_cycad_scale/solution.shtml ?

Some people say oil based pesticides can harm Nepenthes. However, I was talking to a grower of Nepenthes that successfully uses Hort Oil to control scale. I think white oil would be similar. I would like to know what other people think about this.

Also what do you think about diluting confidor in water and soaking the roots of the infected plant in it for a few hours or days. Do you have any suggestions how much I should dilute the confidor that I bought made up in a spray bottle. It is a nicotine based insecticide.

Regards Richard.