Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 19th September 2008, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Miranda peristome

Nice Miranda Shawn! I really like how this one is displaying alot of its northaina traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
Hi Shawn,

Among all my nepenthes one of my favourites is my N miranda,even though its so common and can be found almost everywhere its still so beautiful.It has quality and quantity hahahahah.Its almost as common as N ventrata.Oh yah has anyone hybrid a N miranda or propagated its seeds before a lot of people are telling me that N miranda seeds cant be used???? iS THIS TRUE????

Ken

Well, Miranda is a complex hybrid. ( (northiana x maxima) x maxima I think)
I think the way it works is, that the more different species a hybrid has in its parantage, the less viable its seed tends to be. Eventually, at some point, a hybrid crossed so many times will become sterile.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:40 AM

Of course I don't actually know if N. Miranda is sterile. It could be possible that only some clones of the plant are sterile and others are not.
Old 19th September 2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Off topic... Marigoldsfail21, that's a nice Avatar you have there. Very artistic.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 19th September 2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

That's a nice Miranda, Shawn. Do you mind sharing what kind of growing condition you have for this plant?? Thanks.
Old 20th September 2008, 12:43 AM
Senior Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnut View Post
That's a nice Miranda, Shawn. Do you mind sharing what kind of growing condition you have for this plant?? Thanks.
Hi CPnut,

Thanks, it's a plant I bought from a grower in Hat Yai, Thailand a year or two ago. Its growing in straight cocofiber cubes with a water tray that holds about 1/2" of water most all the time. It only gets about an hour or so of direct sun and is under the edge of a mango tree so gets dappled light the rest of the time. I'm about 50 m. a.s.l. and its quite hot all the time here. It is on the 'daily water' list.

It is the only N. miranda that I haven't moved around in the last 6-8 months and seems happy enough! I'm pretty sure the coco is breaking down by now and since I now have giant bags of perlite and sphagnum as well as coco cubes it's probably due for a repot...but it just keeps putting out great pitchers so I don't want to interrupt it
Old 20th September 2008, 01:01 PM

Nice what's the largest pitcher yours has produced? I think mine has been between 9-11 inches.

Rob
Old 20th September 2008, 01:14 PM

Well i know ur not askin me but mine's 10" inches

Ken
Old 20th September 2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your growing info. You said you got this plant at Hat Yai? I've been to a nursery @ Makro's parking lot in Hat Yai and they do sell some neps there, some were from YG @ cameron highlands in Malaysia. Which nursery you got your miranda @ HY? Do you know any nursery there that have good selection of neps, especially with neps form thailand? Kop koon krap...
Old 20th September 2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnut View Post
Thanks for sharing your growing info. You said you got this plant at Hat Yai? I've been to a nursery @ Makro's parking lot in Hat Yai and they do sell some neps there, some were from YG @ cameron highlands in Malaysia. Which nursery you got your miranda @ HY? Do you know any nursery there that have good selection of neps, especially with neps form thailand? Kop koon krap...
Hi again CPnut,

I actually met a Thai man and his son from Hat Yai that grow neps. They were traveling around the country selling at 'tent' markets some years ago. I bought a bunch of Amps, Kuchinensis, Trichocarpa and a few others. Then later they took pictures of plants at their nursery and sent them to me to pick from and I re-ordered more. I don't know if they actually have a nursery that is open to the public, more like their own backyard stock pile for road trips, I think. If you want to PM me, I will dig up their phone number, but you will have to be able to speak Thai!

I don't know of the other nurseries in HY but if you find good ones please let me know!
Shawn