Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 17th September 2008, 08:37 PM

Default HORROR CP STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Its just sad to say i almost killed one of my plants unientionally.

1st the good new i have finnally repotted my 3 raffs which were in the same pot for years now.But i only got to seperate one cos i ran out of pots.And u can add raffs as one of the neps which has a really big rooting sistem.

But the bad news is while i was repotting it and moving stuff around something horrible happened to my VFT....It freaking drop down from my house which is at the 3rd floor of my apartment.My decorative pot broke into a million pieces and my plastic pot broke into half and my plant was found lying on the floor with all the traps close and some cut off........I imediatly took it up and potted it in a tray with tiny wholes everywhere a plastic tray.I separated the tiny plant from the mother plant and i also took 5 leaf cuttings to ensure the plants safety.I took the leaves from the rhizome thats the way to do it rite and stuck a little of the leaf into the LFS. So now i have 7 plants.Pray for my VFT......

Ken
Old 17th September 2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Default Re: HORROR CP STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish your plant a speedy recovery.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 17th September 2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks david for the nice words oh yah leaf cuttings does it need to be a very healthy trap and does it need rooting hormone????Cos none of my traps are happy for the moment...

Ken
Old 17th September 2008, 10:00 PM

Very sad to hear about it....
Just try ur best to let them recover.....
Wish ur VFT all the best...
Old 17th September 2008, 10:26 PM

Hi harlem,

Thanks for "mourning" with me.....So do VFT leaf cuttings need rooting hormones or can they root themslves????I also split the rhizome of the mother plant BTW.

Ken
Old 17th September 2008, 10:51 PM

Hi! ken....
Actually I dun try the rooting hormones before..But I think U can put little and try...But dun put all the VFT, I no know this can damage the VFT or not...
I think better put them under shade place 1st...the direct sunshine maybe will damage them..because they dun have root to "drink water".....
Old 17th September 2008, 11:21 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

VFT don't need any rooting hormone to root, just insert the leaves in the sphagnum moss and keep them moist, they'll grow new plantlets & root in two to three weeks. Keep them in bright place if you are scared, but I put mine in direct sunlight for few hours, but you must keep them very wet. Better to root the cuttings in different pot in order to keep the different condition for them to root. Leaf cutting do better in wet condition.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:50 AM

Sorry to hear about your VFTs, now we know they don't fly! (just cheering your up). No need rooting hormones in my opinion. Healthy leaves are the best for leaf cuttings, I have not had good sucess with trying leaves that has started to have black tips.

You might want to cut off the traps on the leaf cuttings. Also I suggest (like others) very wet or moist conditions, and good sunlight (no need direct, but good sunlight), I have never been sucessful with artificial light or low light cuttings myself.

Did you mean you intentionally split the rhizome in half? Well if you have 2 rhizomes now with a few leaves and roots each half, then you might end up with two plants in the future.

Good luck!
TTFN
Arvin
Old 18th September 2008, 08:58 AM

Hi Guys,

TS,I put all my VFt actually just one but now there's 7 in a shady place but it gets sun too.And yes im keeping it very moist at all times.But at the time it fell i didn't have any pots because the one i bought was already used by my raff.So i had to use a not so nice pot but very good drainage plastic stuff with holes everywhere.So its pratically a mini bog graden.I will seperate the plants when they have settle down after all the stress.....

Hi Arvin,

Its not that the tips of the leaves are turning black its just that a little of the trap might be cut or trap close because of the shock it received from the wondeful sky diving.I already knew there was 2 plants already before it fell but i was lazy to separate them.I found out because there were 2 growing points very close to each other.So when the plant fell some part of the rhiizome was exposed so i decided to seprate the rhizome each having just a little roots really little.I guess i was bad to my VFT so it wanted to suicide but sadly he failed or maybe he just wanted some adventure....how does it feel to drop from 3 floors definitly not something nice to experience.

Anyway Thanks Guys for helping me out here

Ken
Old 18th September 2008, 11:42 AM

Hi everyone,

Sinceu guys suggested that i put my VFT in a shaded place for now i was thinking about putting it in the bathroom since it recieves bright light high humidity but the air circulation is not that good so can VFT live in a place with little air movement????

Ken