Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 17th December 2008, 09:01 AM

Default Looking for Nurseries in Europe

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone here knows anywhere I can find carnivorous plants nurseries or shops in or near Paris, Amsterdam and Barcelona as I would be going to the following places from 22nd December to 2nd January. If possible, I would need any information on the topic above by latest the 21st December. This may be quite a rush as it is 5 days from now but I didn’t have time to post this earlier as I was busy with my school work. I know that most of the temperate plants there would be dormant and that since it is during Christmas most people would not be around and shops would most likely be closed but any help would be most greatly appreciated.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:50 AM
Pioneer

Default Re: Looking for Nurseries in Europe

Hi Cp,

Looking at your schedule, you must be going on a tour. Believe me you won't have much free time to go around shopping. Might as well enjoy whatever time the tour have allocated to the famous sights and sound. I think it is better to spend more time at the Lourve Museum then to go hunting for cps in Paris.

Most tour in Amsterdam will take you to the flower market. Perhaps there you can find some cps. But you are likely to find the common nepenthes hybrids since the temperate plants like sarracenia are dormant.

Also the plants are sold in Euros. So unless they are really rare, it is not worth it.

You are better off, saving your money and then go up Cameron Highlands where you can find good bargain in nepenthes, sarracenias and cephalotus.

Anyway, enjoy your trip to Europe.

Choong
Old 18th December 2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Jonathan, try pm-ing people who are in Europe like sockhom, nepaholic, murevarn and I don't know who else. Murevarn's website has quite a few links to CP societies in Europe. Also, you better pick up what the local languages identify CPs as. Don't think sundew or drosera will help. Hehe, learn that from amazing race.

I agree with Choong, you'll hardly have time to run around on a tour. Even if you're in a private tour, won't be that easy to get to a certain nursery's location.

Have an enjoyable holiday. Amsterdam, is that where the mermaid is?
Old 18th December 2008, 12:56 PM
Pioneer

BA,

The mermaid is in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Choong
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:21 PM

Hi Choong,
Thanks for the advice and help. Actually, I am not on a tour but am going on a private visit and thus I have quite some time.

Hi Ban Aik,
Thanks for the list of members from Europe. Will pm them when I am in Europe as I will be leaving tonight. By the way, the previous international schools where I studied at and my current international school have classes for Spanish and French but sadly there was no translation for cps. The only things that were taught were basic words and some bad words.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
some bad words.
"Helpful school" lol..

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:09 AM

Have a nice trip Jonathan and don't forget to share some pics!