Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 16th January 2009, 12:19 PM

Default CP seed advisable media

Hi everyone

Considering the sudden monsterous burst of seed giveaways.......And since a number of people took it what do you guys normally use for a specific kind of media to germinate them.Doesn't really need to be specific maybe by genus Nepenthes,Sarracenia,Drosera and VFT etc etc etc...

As my last try on nepenthes seeds i only got about 10-20% or less of germinations.But that happened because i was stupid and i watered it like normal neps making some seeds getting flushed down under the media which probally rotted and dead by now.So i can't really say what media works for neps...Okays so i also heard that a older media might help germinate more seeds or germinate them faster....But how old is old??? Does maybe even getting the pot ready for use a couple of days to about 2 weeks even help? Or does it have to be months to years?

Okays back to the main topic...What media do you use for your CP seeds which u have grown from seed and just need some advice if the medias i'm gonna use will be good.

Nepenthes

Thin Layer of LFS at the bottom and a little peat moss in the middle and LFS as topping again.Perlite is spread throughout the whole thing

Drosera

Thing LFS at bottom and Peat Moss all the way up (Peat seems to hold a lot of water) Perlite is spread evenly throughout the media.

Well those are what i use....I've not really heard of a lot of people using peat moss for neps but i find peat moss really compact which in my opnion will prevent the seeds from dropping down to the bottom so do you think thats advisable to use for nep seeds?

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 16th January 2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: CP seed advisable media

I just use peat moss for drosera. Washed and soaked.
Old 16th January 2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Advisor

I've been collecting advice on Drosera seed germinating media from everyone that has been sending me seeds. Most all of the 'experts' have been telling me to use 1:1 peat;sand or 1:2 p/s. A few have mentioned that at least the upper layer should be heavier on the sand as this discourages moss which will overtake the seedlings.

As usual, I'm experimenting! My sand is often contaminated with loads of weed seeds, so I have just screened a bunch of my finest grained pumice stones and am mixing the resulting "pumice sand" with peat at about 1 (peat):1.5 (pumice sand). I will plant the plug trays with 1-2 seed/cell and put them in my hydro-tables where they can get water from the bottom (like tray method). I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks!

PS Ken - I find it best to use finely chopped (I use a blender...but I've also burned out 2 blenders now!) for Nep seeds. If you use LFS you have a hard time transplanting the seedlings without pulling up all the other seedlings at the same time. I've never tried peat with my nep seeds but it works spectacularly for fern spore germination!
Old 16th January 2009, 04:44 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

As general rule most CP will do well on mix of 50/50 sand and peat. Personally I only use Canadian peats and mixture of equal parts of coase, medium and fine sand for the sand mix.
Here in South Australia we have a tendency to use pure LFS for Nepenthes, Heliamphora, and Darlingtonia.
Some of us use some pertile in the mix when it comes to Sarracenia while other use straight peat sand mix.
It seem to be what ever works for you as long the media is nutrient poor and acidic. I seen pygmy sundews growing in pure Silicon carbonate.
Old 16th January 2009, 04:48 PM

I germinate drosera, nep ands sarra seed with LFS.
Old 16th January 2009, 08:13 PM

Peat moss is the best for little plantlets and seeds from my point of view.

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 16th January 2009, 10:07 PM

Hi Shawn

Well i have limited resources...........I only have 3 ingredients to use....Peat moss,LFS and perlite...So among this in your opinion which do you think is the best???? On the peat moss label it says good for seedlings though....I don't really do much or cut or blend the LFS i just do what i can by tearing them to as small as my hands can go ( a bit lazy ) So well if those seedlings roots which were hurt during taking out the other seedlings then die then die la lol.....Just kidding i know they'll be hurt but i can't do much.I'm not sure if peat will have the same affect.

Hi Khaos

Looks like quite a lot of people use sand as a mix............Well i don't really know where to get river sand.So have you ever used peat for nep seeds????

Hi Aaron

You're goin to have difficulty seprating them.

Hi Ed

Peat moss for neps too???

Anyone knows where to get sand in KL?????????/

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 17th January 2009, 01:45 AM
Administrator

If there is a construction site near you, ask the owner or supervisor for some sand. Otherwise, you can get sand from live fish shop I think, nurseries, hardware shop. Otherwise try playgrounds, long jump pits, even sweeping up from road side. Use your imagination. Just make sure you wash the sand clean.
Old 17th January 2009, 01:47 AM
Administrator

You can get sand from fish shop... You can try the fish shop at Jalan Pasar that opposite temple. I refer to shop lot and not those small store.

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 17th January 2009, 08:06 AM

Well, I think that for neps, the peat moss must be wel drain to be used. Although I haven't sown any nep seeds yet but, I am planning to use peat moss and see how the effect is. The reason why I like peat moss is that it doesn't stink(it took me a long time to realise this, thank you David for telling me), it is very compact and it helps seedlings establish themselves more effectively than LFS.

Cheers

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!