Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 12th August 2008, 09:35 AM
Advisor

Default Re: shawnintland: D. burmanni seedlings & ? (Read 158 times)

arvin, i can`t comment of the media used as i`ve not used cocopeat before.

from the pic tho......it looks like there is algae attacking your plantlets as well as the medium seems to attract it ( it doesn`t look too wet so that`s not why algae is forming, perhaps there is some element in cocopeat which attracts algae formation)....you might try to gently scoop up the algae, or perhaps use a toothpick to remove small portions of it at a time. the sundews are a bit small to move about at the moment.

what do the rest think ?
Old 12th August 2008, 11:26 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

TS, Ithnk the problem with cocopeat is that it contains nutrients. I am not 100% sure of this but I think I have seen this given as a reason as to why it is not very good for use with CP's. This may explain why there is algae growth on the media.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Advisor

Hi Arvin,

Well, perhaps the direct sunlight is too much for them? I have yet to move any of mine into 'direct' sunlight and they are doing fine (although could use more light now that they are larger). I also have not tried cocopeat as a starting media so can't help much there. Your media looks about the same as mine as far as moisture content and it sounds like they are in the same conditions (lidded boxes) so sunlight and media are the main differences.
Good luck saving them!
Old 13th August 2008, 01:02 AM

Thanks for your inputs guys. I actually have another batch in dried sphagnum moss, unfortunately that too had some algae, but they don't look blue green to me, we'll see.

The Spatulata that I got from a fellow CPer here is in cocopeat actully, and they are flowering, so at least for grown ones, they are okay in cocopeat.

When you say Perlite or Vermiculite, are we talking about pure perlite or Vermiculite? I can get these no problem and can try.

Actually I also want to try using jelly as medium. Now you guys might think I'm crazy or that I have a lot of seeds to spare, actually not really, Burmanii was given by a fellow petpitcher member, and I am run out, already and hoping some will live to adulthood. I do have some spatulata seeds to try out.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 13th August 2008, 07:25 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Arvin, for seed raising pure perlite or vermiculite is OK. I would transfer into a more traditional mix as they grow though. I haven't seen anyone growing mature plants in pure media.

When you talk about jelly as a medium are you refering to agar. This is used for TC plants and they grow well. The only problem may be that it is also good for the growth of bacteria, fungus etc. and so may lead to problems down the track. I would b einterested to see your results though.
Old 13th August 2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks guys!

I will try vermiculite because though I used to be fan of Perlite (still have them) I don't like how they float around I also have pumice but maybe next time.

Yes sorry I meant Agar. I was going to do an experiment with my nephews (well it's my experiment but I wanted them to be part of it so my wife will support it) I used unflavored Gelatine Mix, but unfortunately they don't stay firm in room temp, I tried double the dosage, but still nothing. I am going to try another mix, I also bought Agar to try if all else fails. I also experimented with just plain ones, and ones with some rooting hormones and one with orchid fertilizer. These are just mediums though no actual seeds yet. Will try basil seeds first for these Agar experiments though. Will post updates of course.

TTFN
Arvin