Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 19th September 2008, 04:19 PM
malowie

Default i dont know what to do with my miranda.

this sounds like a history story.

Three years ago, i bought this cute miranda.. with pitchers around 4 inches in length, and the stem was barely 5 inches long.. there was only one plant in the pot. in the process, it grew bigger ang bigger, producing pitchers up to 9 inches, and flowering non stop for several months, which i only started cutting off recently as i never knew flowering could stunt it growth a little.

it came in a pot which was 5 inches in diameter. a year later, i transplanted it to a 12 inch hanging pot, as the main stem was too long and there were 2 rosettes already growing vigorously. it blossomed.

and now, after bearing four two foot long stalks of flowers, its literally pitcherless!!! there are only about like 4 full pitchers. the other are half dried from peristome but still functioning. there are four stems, which are ery very long (2++ feet) but the plant has failed to form any basal rosettes so i resist the temptation to prune those long stems like i used to when there are established basal rosettes last time.

also, the pot seems to be really filled up with its fibrous roots. i need to water it twice a day or the substrate would go dry..

what should i do? im quite sad for it now as it was really one of the most beautiful nepenthes i had.. the days when it bore cool, big, healthy pitchers. do i prune the roots and repot it, or what?

thanks.. hope for your help!
Old 19th September 2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: i dont know what to do with my miranda.

I would repot it with cuttings and separate the basals into several pots and start all over again so you can enjoy the "former glory" what this plants had offered you in the past. That is however just what I would do...
Old 19th September 2008, 10:57 PM
malowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnut View Post
I would repot it with cuttings and separate the basals into several pots and start all over again so you can enjoy the "former glory" what this plants had offered you in the past. That is however just what I would do...
the problem is, there are no basals at all. all i have is four really really long stalks.. one is about more than 3 feet long.
can i prune the roots?
Old 19th September 2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Ohh.... My mistake.. I tot you had basals in the plants.

In that case, since you got 4 stems, why not you cut one of the stem for cuttings? At least I think this way you can start a new pot and hopefully a "new glory"

As for triming the roots, I think the experts here will be better qualify to answer your question....
Old 20th September 2008, 01:13 AM
malowie

hey there...

yeah perhaps ill root one cutting.

im tempted to trim the roots because theres really a lot of them.. theyre growing so rapidly

thanks!
Old 20th September 2008, 08:07 PM

I think trimming the roots will damage the growth and the size of the pitcher and wil take months for the to give out big pitchers again.
Old 20th September 2008, 11:48 PM

May I suggest, not touching the roots at all, in fact do not bother the plant as much as possible. Get a bigger pot, then transpot the whole plant to the new pot (without disturbing the root as much as possible) then just add more potting mix around to fill. This way hopefully your plant will have more room for roots to grow.

Please do consider the technique that has worked 100% for me so far to get basals, and that is to make position the vine horizontally or even lower than the pot. If basals is what you are hoping for

Good luck!
TTFN
Arvin
Old 21st September 2008, 11:44 AM

Well first of all,neps are vines.In the wild they cling on some plants/tree's for support.Some of the leaves tendril even curl up to grab for support.This tendril's dont produce pitchers.

So add support for ur plant and once it reconizes that there is support for it,it will start growing pitchers.This plants are smart.They know if they produce pitchers without support it will break the plant due to heavy and it might die.You can use bamboo or some wood or sticks.I dont recommend using pvc,metal or other materials cause they dont mimic what is in the wild.It may take a while for the nep to reconize the support so be patient.

Another thing is;since ur pot full of roots,its time for repotting to a bigger pot.No need to hang it,just put it on the ground and built a support for the plant.